Pneumonia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elizabethe

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
My sorry saga. Took ill suddenly after being well since being diagnosed as type 1 on the 17th July 2021.
My resting heart rate 100 for two days. GP sent me to A&E on Friday. Admitted and have pneumonia my infection rate being 250 ( should be below 10). Life much harder with diabetes and illness. Dealing with diabetes myself but this morning ketones were 1.6 and heart rate 141. Blood sugars a bit higher about 9 to 12. Sensor not so good as was erratic. So not relying on it. What I would like to know is I feel really disoriented inside the strangest feeling. As if on drugs and out of body experience. I am waiting on the doctors doing their ward round.
I am taking more insulin
Hope to feel better soon

Sorry to hear you are so unwell and needing a hospital stay. Keeping hydrated with plenty of fluids is important when you are ill particularly as a diabetic and dehydration can cause your sensor to be erratic and possibly also cause you to feel disorientated, so do make sure to keep sipping away at drinks.
Well done on keeping your levels reasonably under control and great to hear that they are allowing you to maintain control of your insulin as I have heard some stories where they lock it away.

Sorry to hear you are so unwell and needing a hospital stay. Keeping hydrated with plenty of fluids is important when you are ill particularly as a diabetic and dehydration can cause your sensor to be erratic and possibly also cause you to feel disorientated, so do make sure to keep sipping away at drinks.
Well done on keeping your levels reasonably under control and great to hear that they are allowing you to maintain control of your insulin as I have heard some stories where they lock it away.
Thank you, I needed to hear that. Been drinking a lot. Ketones now 0.7

So sorry to hear you’re ill @Elizabethe You’re right: diabetes and illness is very hard, and stressful too. However, you’re in the right place and once your pneumonia is dealt with, you should start to feel better in yourself too. Your blood sugars aren’t high so that’s good. Your ketones have come down so that’s good too.

Do tell the nurses how you’re feeling. It might be the infection/pneumonia or it might be your faster heartrate, or just a combination of everything. I hope you feeling better soon xx

So sorry you’re feeling so poorly @Elizabethe
I hope things are starting to settle down for you.

I was in hospital a few years back with pneumonia and I felt quite out of it & not really aware for the first few days, I couldn’t remember being admitted through A&E. Once the IV antibiotics started to work on the infection I started to feel more aware and more like me.

Good to hear your blood sugar isn’t too high & ketones are reducing. It’s such a hard job juggling diabetes and other illnesses.

Wishing you well, I hope you start to feel better soon.

Oh nooooo @Elizabethe :( :( :(

Sorry to hear about the pneumonia!

Hopefully you’ll begin to feel more yourself very soon.

Not sure if you’ve ever been given a copy, but T1s are often given ‘sick day rules’ guidance to help them adjust their insulin doses during illness.

Good to hear your ketones are coming down, and your BGs are not too far out of kilter. Very well done to you!

So pleased that you are feeling a little better and your stats are improving. Hope you are soon well enough to go home.

Ah that’s good to hear @Elizabethe

Hope your recovery continues and you are able to return home very shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back