Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohamed Nady

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My sister has diabetes t1 and she is 7 years old . She is taking insulin . The problem here is that when she took her notion of insulin in the last three days , the measured glucose after that was too low”. What can this be?

Last edited:
she takes the insulins that the doctor has asked for , but why the glucose percent becomes so low at sometimes ? And especially after taking insulin after lunch

There are many things which can affect blood glucose. Maybe she took too much insulin, or didn’t eat enough food, or had been running around more than usual. Or it could be all sorts of other things.

she takes the insulins that the doctor has asked for , but why the glucose percent becomes so low at sometimes ? And especially after taking insulin after lunch
Did she eat all her lunch? Did she maybe eat a different lunch which had a different amount of carbohydrate? Had she been running around more than usual?

Does she take the same amount of insulin each time? If so, she really needs to eat the same food all the time, if it’s different and doesn’t match the amount of insulin then she could go low or high as a result. Or sometimes the food is slow to digest and the insulin starts working before the food has got into her blood. Do you know the name of the insulin and how much she takes?

Did she eat all her lunch? Did she maybe eat a different lunch which had a different amount of carbohydrate? Had she been running around more than usual?

Does she take the same amount of insulin each time? If so, she really needs to eat the same food all the time, if it’s different and doesn’t match the amount of insulin then she could go low or high as a result. Or sometimes the food is slow to digest and the insulin starts working before the food has got into her blood. Do you know the name of the insulin and how much she takes?

She will be going low because she either took too much insulin for the amount of carbs she was about to eat, or she was more active than usual, or a few other reasons too, but those are the main ones.

Tooujeo and Apidra

Ok, so the Toujeo is a basal/background insulin that should keep her blood sugar steady in the absence of food. The Apidra is a bolus/fast/mealtime insulin that deals with the carbs she eats. If she takes her Apidra and doesn’t eat enough carbs, her glucose could go low. Or, if she takes her Apidra and then does exercise, her glucose could go low then too.

Type 1 is all about balancing insulin, carbs and exercise.

But the doctor told us to give it to her after eating , Are u sure ?
I'm sure about what's usual in adults.

But having checked out Apidra it appears it can indeed be administered after meals. Although that link does say within 20 minutes of commencing the meal. Apologies, it just stuck out as something odd.

Most people take their insulin before food. But you should do what the doctor told you. Maybe because she’s a young child, they want to make sure that she has eaten some food before taking the insulin (children do mess about and decide they don’t want to eat sometimes, and that would be dangerous if she had already taken insulin).

Is she newly diagnosed in the beginning it can be a very step learning curve. When I was first dianoisged I went low all the time. Even though the hospital said they puting me on low doses to start with at the time those so called low doses was massive for me.

In the beginning it can be a lot of trail and error. Is she just under a gp or does she have a hospital diabetic clinic

I'm sure about what's usual in adults.

But having checked out Apidra it appears it can indeed be administered after meals. Although that link does say within 20 minutes of commencing the meal. Apologies, it just stuck out as something odd.

With younger children, it’s often safer to give it after a meal in case they don’t eat their whole meal. You can then adjust the insulin dose accordingly.

Is she newly diagnosed in the beginning it can be a very step learning curve. When I was first dianoisged I went low all the time. Even though the hospital said they puting me on low doses to start with at the time those so called low doses was massive for me.

In the beginning it can be a lot of trail and error. Is she just under a gp or does she have a hospital diabetic clinic
She was used to taking the insulin and the glucose becomes normal after that , but recently it became so low after taking insulin after lunch

She was used to taking the insulin and the glucose becomes normal after that , but recently it became so low after taking insulin after lunch

Has anything changed? Is she eating less lunch? Is she more active after lunch than before?

How long has she had Type 1?

If she’s growing that may change things (usually makes blood sugar go higher, but everyone is different). Or if it‘s happening every day then it may mean that her lunch time dose needs adjusting, diabetes does change from time to time. Speak to the doctor if you don’t know how to adjust it yourself.

Okay well sometimes insulin needs change for a varitty of reasons and what was once the right amount becomes too much or not enough. And than again it becomes a case of trail and error until you've worked out the new rules diabetes has decided to throw at you.

As a young T1 she may need to be managed by the community diabetes team rather than the GP although some GPs do have the right knowledge. As long as you understand the relationship between Carbs and insulin together with exercise things should become more balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back