Plea to dentists to check for mouth cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
More dentists need to be checking their patients for mouth cancer, say experts.

Cancer Research UK says oral cancer rates are going up and some dentists are missing an opportunity to spot those at risk.

All dentists should be asking about risk factors like smoking or heavy drinking as well as early telltale signs in the mouth, says the charity.

By 2030 it is predicted there will be 9,200 cases of oral cancer in the UK every year compared with 6,240 in 2009.

Oral cancer affects the lips, tongue, cheek lining, gums, palate and floor of the mouth.

The British Dental Association said dentists examine these areas as part of a routine dental check-up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19714151

More dentists need to be checking their patients for mouth cancer, say experts.

Cancer Research UK says oral cancer rates are going up and some dentists are missing an opportunity to spot those at risk.

All dentists should be asking about risk factors like smoking or heavy drinking as well as early telltale signs in the mouth, says the charity.

By 2030 it is predicted there will be 9,200 cases of oral cancer in the UK every year compared with 6,240 in 2009.

Oral cancer affects the lips, tongue, cheek lining, gums, palate and floor of the mouth.

The British Dental Association said dentists examine these areas as part of a routine dental check-up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19714151

My dentist referred me to hospital for further tests as a precaution. A biopsy was taken - again as a precaution after noticing small growth. Fortunately the results showed there was no cancer.

Richard

My dentist referred me to hospital for further tests as a precaution. A biopsy was taken - again as a precaution after noticing small growth. Fortunately the results showed there was no cancer.

Richard

Good news Richard. My dad was referred by his (Dutch) dentist and found he did have cancer. They operated and he is still clear and running around over 20 years later, as it was spotted early 🙂

Snap Richard - couple of years ago - about 2007 or 8? - dentist noticed summat on husband's tongue right at the back of it, not easily seen. Said he'd refer him, Pete left to come home (approx 8-10 minutes) and phone was ringing when he came through the front door.

Was the Hospital to make appt. Biopsy and turned out to be nothing, like yourself.

We were well impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back