Planning for first pregnancy- insulin pump consideration…advice needed!

katie.houghton

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi! I’m just looking for some advice/experiences in relation to trying for a baby with T1 Diabetes and getting an insulin pump.

I was diagnosed 23 years ago and have always managed my diabetes through insulin injections. I carb count and when I put full effort into carb counting my bloods are generally good, my most recent HBA1c was 43.

Me and my fiancé are looking to start a family and have been asked at pre conception clinic whether I’d like an insulin pump. I’ve never wanted one growing up for reasons such as not wanting to be attached to anything with the tubing and having to factor it into my clothing options etc.

I’m now at a stage in my life where I’m obsessing over my blood sugars more than ever before and starting to notice different patterns and trends. I’m wondering whether a pump will help me iron out any of the difficulties I do still experience with overnight hypos and random highs or lows.

Obviously pregnancy will have other huge effects on my body and a pump may help reduce the stresses of this. The effort needed to maintain good blood sugars with insulin injections and carb counting can be all consuming and draining.

I have a friend who is diabetic and had 2 children whilst remaining on injections. Equally, I have a friend who has an insulin pump and says it has been life changing. I feel so conflicted!

I’d love to hear from anyone who has changed from injections to a pump. Especially if you’ve managed with injections for a long time and been unsure about the change. Was it worth it? What did you struggle with? Was there a long period of adjustment?

Thank you

My understanding is that if you are planning to get pregnant , not only might a pump be available bugg to you would meet the criteria to be given the hybrid closed loop system. In this the pump and your sensor chat to each other in the background and adjust your background insulin. Most have found that looping improved their time in range and reduces the amount of hypos.

When I first switched to using a pump from MDI I was very uncertain about being tethered all the time. I quickly saw the benefits and increased flexibility once on a pump.

It takes some time to get the hourly rate for your basal to match what you need but it is a lot more fine tuned than a basal injection once or twice a day.

I have not gone through a pregnancy with T1 but there are plenty of others on here that have. I will leave them to come back with practicalities.

My understanding is that if you are planning to get pregnant , not only might a pump be available bugg to you would meet the criteria to be given the hybrid closed loop system. In this the pump and your sensor chat to each other in the background and adjust your background insulin. Most have found that looping improved their time in range and reduces the amount of hypos.

When I first switched to using a pump from MDI I was very uncertain about being tethered all the time. I quickly saw the benefits and increased flexibility once on a pump.

It takes some time to get the hourly rate for your basal to match what you need but it is a lot more fine tuned than a basal injection once or twice a day.

I have not gone through a pregnancy with T1 but there are plenty of others on here that have. I will leave them to come back with practicalities.

Yes, it is a closed loop system they have recommended for me. I’d like to think I’d get use to it and see the benefits if I did change. Thank you!

Any questions that arise just ask.

Moving to a pump does help most people get better control.
It did for me personally, take a look at the pump forum loads is examples in there.
Your HB1AC is good. What is your time in range?
It will all change when you are pregnant so I wouldn’t get to hung up on trends now, but if you have the technics and experience to alter things you should be able to manage.
One of the best benefits for me of the pump is it takes less of my effort and input to have better levels. Can’t recommend it enough, wish I’d had it eaiker and I know if I’d had CGM/flash during my pregnancy it would have been easier for me and less of a battle, I might even have had another child. She’s 13 now, perfectly healthy and happy (grumpy) it can be done but why make life harder.
Speak to your diabetics team about it if you haven’t already as most have pre pregnancy clinics and this can be part of the preparation for you.
Good luck and keep positive

Hi! I’m just looking for some advice/experiences in relation to trying for a baby with T1 Diabetes and getting an insulin pump.

I was diagnosed 23 years ago and have always managed my diabetes through insulin injections. I carb count and when I put full effort into carb counting my bloods are generally good, my most recent HBA1c was 43.

Me and my fiancé are looking to start a family and have been asked at pre conception clinic whether I’d like an insulin pump. I’ve never wanted one growing up for reasons such as not wanting to be attached to anything with the tubing and having to factor it into my clothing options etc.

I’m now at a stage in my life where I’m obsessing over my blood sugars more than ever before and starting to notice different patterns and trends. I’m wondering whether a pump will help me iron out any of the difficulties I do still experience with overnight hypos and random highs or lows.

Obviously pregnancy will have other huge effects on my body and a pump may help reduce the stresses of this. The effort needed to maintain good blood sugars with insulin injections and carb counting can be all consuming and draining.

I have a friend who is diabetic and had 2 children whilst remaining on injections. Equally, I have a friend who has an insulin pump and says it has been life changing. I feel so conflicted!

I’d love to hear from anyone who has changed from injections to a pump. Especially if you’ve managed with injections for a long time and been unsure about the change. Was it worth it? What did you struggle with? Was there a long period of adjustment?

Thank you
I had my little boy in February and I'm on the Medtronic 780G pump. I was reluctant to get a pump for a long time, it was actually my DSN team who suggested it to me and I'm so pleased I did. I didn't want to be connected or have a steel cannula and that's exactly what I've got!

I would recommend trying it just to see how you get on. You can always revert to pens if you prefer them. I found the pump gave me more flexibility and I could make tweaks as my pregnancy went along. I've had my pump since 2015 so luckily had plenty of time to get to know it before Jack came along. Wishing you lots of luck 🙂

@katie.houghton A pump makes the frequent basal changes of pregnancy much easier. If I wasn’t sure, I’d use the temporary basal feature and then get a feel for what basal adjustments I needed. A pump also makes tight control easier. You can do tiny corrections like 0.2 units or whatever. This can help nudge your blood sugar onto the right side of the target.

So, although your HbA1C is excellent, you might find a pump more convenient. I kept mine on throughout labour and if I’d needed a C section, they’d have allowed me to keep it on then too. I don’t find clothing an issue at all. My pump is tiny and generally stays in a Hid-in soft belt on my waist. I also use a Tubigrip on my thigh sometimes or a bra bag that lets it sit on my side.

I found the first couple of days of the pump weird because of the cannula, but I very quickly realised how lovely it was to press a button and bolus. I control my pump from my phone so it’s very convenient and discreet.

Back