Planning for Excercise but then not taking it

Status
Not open for further replies.

berryr99

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
If I plan to do some gardening in the morning I would trim down my (say) breakfast dose. If I don't take the exercise (maybe it rains !) then I'm thinking to take some more insulin to keep BS down - never tried it but is that the correct action ? Thanks

On a foundation course I went on last week, I was advised that yes, what you are suggesting is the correct action but to wait until lunch to add the correction. So if you were going to have (say) 5 units nr at lunch anyway, depending on your own ratios/knowledge of what you need, you may need to make it 6 (or more), depending on what you might be doing in the afternoon of course!! I would just advise to be mindful of lows if you've not done it before and are adding in more units than you'd usually have.

I understand you're type 2, so I may not be the best person to advise here (also a newbie to it all, really!) but I can see you are taking novorapid, as am I, so my answer is based on that - but there are many on here with far more experience than me 🙂

On a foundation course I went on last week, I was advised that yes, what you are suggesting is the correct action but to wait until lunch to add the correction. So if you were going to have (say) 5 units nr at lunch anyway, depending on your own ratios/knowledge of what you need, you may need to make it 6 (or more), depending on what you might be doing in the afternoon of course!! I would just advise to be mindful of lows if you've not done it before and are adding in more units than you'd usually have.

I understand you're type 2, so I may not be the best person to advise here (also a newbie to it all, really!) but I can see you are taking novorapid, as am I, so my answer is based on that - but there are many on here with far more experience than me 🙂
That makes sense - thanks.

If you’d reduced your bolus injection for exercise but then didn’t take that exercise, it would depend on what your blood sugar was, of course, but personally I’d correct if it was high (after all, you’d have had the full bolus amount if you weren’t exercising). But you also need to take into account what you’re doing instead as that might burn up some of your glucose if energetic enough.

If in doubt or not certain, it’s safest to not inject more insulin. Hypos are best avoided.

If you’d reduced your bolus injection for exercise but then didn’t take that exercise, it would depend on what your blood sugar was, of course, but personally I’d correct if it was high (after all, you’d have had the full bolus amount if you weren’t exercising). But you also need to take into account what you’re doing instead as that might burn up some of your glucose if energetic enough.

If in doubt or not certain, it’s safest to not inject more insulin. Hypos are best avoided.
I agree on hypos. Useful advice - I would be inclined to correct once I knew I was not taking activity and then finger prick a bit later on to see all was ok.

I agree on hypos. Useful advice - I would be inclined to correct once I knew I was not taking activity and then finger prick a bit later on to see all was ok.

Absolutely. Do extra blood tests/Libre scans for anything a bit different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back