• Community Members: Please be respectful of other peoples' opinions within our online community

Planning a diabetic diet when i dont have to lose any weight ? Are there rules

Jenny105

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I was trying to get 10stone to 81/2 stone B4 diagnosis . Using low fats , low sugar. . Then I lowered bread & potatoes. Ive had weight rise for 20 yrs due to medication. I am now 81/2 stone due to sudden loss when diabetes set in.
My question- is there somewhere I can find how much to eat as a slim diabetic. ? I still think of low fat, low sugar & low carb in my head cos of weight loss,. This website says matchbox of protein; dice of butter etc Is that for everyone? And how many carbs ? Im going low on the latter eg free from thins @ 12gm carb. Or one thin slice bread 15gm., 3 new pots or less. May be Im not eating enough. Are there any rules
This might be an unusual query and there may not be an easy answer but thought I'd try.
PS IS there a list online of the number of carbs in popular general necessary foods

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was trying to get 10stone to 81/2 stone B4 diagnosis . Using low fats , low sugar. . Then I lowered bread & potatoes. Ive had weight rise for 20 yrs due to medication. I am now 81/2 stone due to sudden loss when diabetes set in.
My question- is there somewhere I can find how much to eat as a slim diabetic. ? I still think of low fat, low sugar & low carb in my head cos of weight loss,. This website says matchbox of protein; dice of butter etc Is that for everyone? And how many carbs ? Im going low on the latter eg free from thins @ 12gm carb. Or one thin slice bread 15gm., 3 new pots or less. May be Im not eating enough. Are there any rules
This might be an unusual query and there may not be an easy answer but thought I'd try.
PS IS there a list online of the number of carbs in popular general necessary foods
You might find this link has some helpful ideas.
Number of carbs in foods can vary with different manufacturers so you could go on the supermarket website and each product should then have the nutritional information, or more generally the book or app Carbs and Cals is useful or some people use Nutracheck I think it is called or just put your food item and carbs into Google e.g broad beans carb content.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Increasing fat intake is the way that many of us stabilse our weight once we reach a normal BMI whilst still maintaining low carb for our diabetes. For me that means, cream in my morning coffee and a bice chunk of cheese, often with a glass or port or red wine on an evening. Fattier cuts of meat like belly pork and lamb chops, both of which I have always loved and a big dollop of creamy coleslaw with my salads and chilli etc. Choosing normal fat products over low fat products etc. Whole milk, not semi-skimmed, it all soon adds up to enough calories to prevent any further weight loss.

adrian1der

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Jenny105
You only have protein, carbs and fat to play with. If you eat low carb AND low fat then you're going to have to eat a lot of protein not a matchbox sized piece. Personally I eat low carb but eat fairly normally otherwise. I cook normal meals and just don't have the potatoes, rice, pasta etc that would normally accompany the prepared dish.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Be wary of the google results if you choose to use the method leadinglights suggested as they generally give US results down the side which hasn't had the fibre deducted like UK does so you'd need to deduct the fibre to get the carbs (easily distinguished as they spell it fiber) xx

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Be wary of the google results if you choose to use the method leadinglights suggested as they generally give US results down the side which hasn't had the fibre deducted like UK does so you'd need to deduct the fibre to get the carbs (easily distinguished as they spell it fiber) xx
Point taken, hadn't spotted that.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have this book @Jenny105 It’s cheap and useful to have on the shelf for those occasions when I eat something different or need to check. I like the way it’s divided into sections. I’m Type 1 and need to carb count accurately so I also find good quality digital scales very useful too.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Eat as much protein and natural fat as you like from meat, including fattier parts, fish or any seafood, eggs, cheese, full fat yoghurt, cream - they are all low carb and will be nourishing but not bother your diabetes.
Choose low carb veges and salad, there are lots of them, tasty colourful and various textures.
Have some berries a few times a week - because you can - though I make sugar free jellies to go with them, and add cream.
If you eat any high carb foods then do check your blood glucose levels to see if you can cope with them.
I have to stay fairly low even for low carb, so I would not 'waste' the carbs I can eat on bread and potatoes - for that many carbs I could have a whole extra meal, or a big bowl of trifle, at least the way I make it I could - so a slice of bread is not very tempting, even for me, and I am so easily tempted.

Jenny105

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Eat as much protein and natural fat as you like from meat, including fattier parts, fish or any seafood, eggs, cheese, full fat yoghurt, cream - they are all low carb and will be nourishing but not bother your diabetes.
Choose low carb veges and salad, there are lots of them, tasty colourful and various textures.
Have some berries a few times a week - because you can - though I make sugar free jellies to go with them, and add cream.
If you eat any high carb foods then do check your blood glucose levels to see if you can cope with them.
I have to stay fairly low even for low carb, so I would not 'waste' the carbs I can eat on bread and potatoes - for that many carbs I could have a whole extra meal, or a big bowl of trifle, at least the way I make it I could - so a slice of bread is not very tempting, even for me, and I am so easily tempted.
These tips look very useful. I only check once a day officially but for my own purpose i check more.
Weve just been away for 3 days. Hotel and pub grub . Not taking readings all day.
Reading 6.6 early am. - 8.9. Plus 2 Higher @ 11.2 & 11.4. one = pear&apple crumble (only ate 1/2 crumble) 3.00pm and 2nd tempura veg ( cauli & courgette )Plus salad. 1/2 tempura removed. 9.00pm
Does 11. mean Im not coping with something?

Last edited:

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
These tips look very useful. I only check once a day officially but for my own purpose i check more.
Weve just been away for 3 days. Lowest reading 6.6 early am. Highest 2 @ 11.2 & 11.4. one = pear&apple crumble (only ate 1/2 crumble) and 2 tempura veg ( cauli & courgette )plus salad. 1/2 tempura removed. Does 11. mean Im not coping with something?
If it was 2 hours after you ate then those are higher readings than you would really like to see but unless you tested before you ate you don't know if it was that particular food or if your level was already high.
I can see the crumble would be quite high carb as they probably used lots of sugar, and if you had custard or ice cream that could be quite high carb but I am surprised the tempura would be particularly high, even though it would be a batter made with flour.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
True, a tiddly bit of flour raw egg white and seasoning - so you land up with very thin, light batter instead of when you make batter with flour whole egg seasoning and milk/water. You can't tell anything really about food and whether it's good bad or indifferent for your BG unless you test BG both before and after you eat whatever.

Jenny105

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I just received some extra strips today so will make a list of daily food; Sometimes do b4 & after. Sometimes do all day. ??

Evenings seem to be a higher reading. Midday is the main meal. 6ish is salad, 1 slice of bread and sometimes Ive added portion of cheese , or ham or sardine on toast.
Prior to DB i might only have had beetroot or watercress or celery plus bread.

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
beetroot watercress or celery are all fine low carb options.

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I just received some extra strips today so will make a list of daily food; Sometimes do b4 & after. Sometimes do all day. ??

Evenings seem to be a higher reading. Midday is the main meal. 6ish is salad, 1 slice of bread and sometimes Ive added portion of cheese , or ham or sardine on toast.
Prior to DB i might only have had beetroot or watercress or celery plus bread.
If the bread is the problem, then you could make a big salad with the B, W and C and add some ham or feta cheese and maybe some avocado and some seeds or nuts with some mayo or hard boiled eggs. Otherwise you are having no protein or fat so are more likely to be hungry.

D

Deleted member 33972

Jenny are you type 1 or 2 i might have missed it somewhere on your post?