Pizza...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddie99

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Urgh. Had a lovely pizza last night witht he girlfriend but am now suffering the consequences. Nominally high blood sugar followed by frustration and wishing that I could have done better.

So, in that pizza I had three hundred grammes of carbs last night. Now wiht my ratio that worked out to me giving myself forty five grammes of novorapid to cover it. An hour and a half later my blood was identical to the pre meal blood of four point four. Two hours later it was four point three. Before I went to bed it was nine point five so I gave a two unit correction dose which should have theoretically brought me back down to five point five. However as nothing seems to go my way with diabetes I've woken up with the blood sugar of fourteen point four and I am mightly p*ssed off about that.

I'd best stop waffling and get to my point. Is there any means of stopping such a huge rise when I've had pizza? This sort of thing is really begining to get on my t*ts to be frank with you all.

Tom

Urgh. Had a lovely pizza last night witht he girlfriend but am now suffering the consequences. Nominally high blood sugar followed by frustration and wishing that I could have done better.

So, in that pizza I had three hundred grammes of carbs last night. Now wiht my ratio that worked out to me giving myself forty five grammes of novorapid to cover it. An hour and a half later my blood was identical to the pre meal blood of four point four. Two hours later it was four point three. Before I went to bed it was nine point five so I gave a two unit correction dose which should have theoretically brought me back down to five point five. However as nothing seems to go my way with diabetes I've woken up with the blood sugar of fourteen point four and I am mightly p*ssed off about that.

I'd best stop waffling and get to my point. Is there any means of stopping such a huge rise when I've had pizza? This sort of thing is really begining to get on my t*ts to be frank with you all.

Tom

Have you tried spliting the dose, ie giving half or maybe 40% of injection up front, then the rest about 3 hours later. Whenever you started to rise, you need to give the second injection 2 hours before that. Just a thought. With pizza you need to experiement.

Hi Tom

Pizza contains a high percentage of carbs, but also is high in fat. When you eat both together the body is slower at breaking down food (carbs) due to the fat content, therefore, this may explain why your post-meal readings gradually increased throughout the evening.

Perhaps, a possible explanation for your high reading in the morning, may have been the insulin before bed. Had your evening meal insulin still been present and working in your body, giving another 2 units may have caused a hypo when you were asleep, and of course your body had a 'liver dump' releasing glucose, hence your high morning reading.

As for a means of stopping the huge rises; some people split their insulin dose, and inject half before eating, then the other half when they have finished their meal. Maybe, you could wait till you have eaten, then inject in all your insulin?, I don't eat pizza very often, so I am not much use hear.

I hope the above helps, but I am sure others on the forum will be along shortly to offer some alternative explanation. 🙂

Toby

J has had pizza only twice since he's had diabetes but each time it has caused chaos with his blood sugar, am determined to get it right though as he loves it so might try the split dose next time. We will not be beaten by a damn pizza!!

I can say from a t2 perspective it took me about 6 month before i dared touch a pizza but with a few good ideas off people in here I made my own, it was also great as my son joined in as well , it always gives me some kind of achievement when i make my own pizza and it always seems to be ok regarding mg BG levels,I think once i did have a giseppes pizza from tesco and it shot me up to 16.4 i think , never again so id say make your own if you have the time and means of course

Funnily enough I have been thoinking about pizza and whether to try a bit or not - maybe it will be on the avoid list for a bit longer!

Funnily enough I have been thoinking about pizza and whether to try a bit or not - maybe it will be on the avoid list for a bit longer!

id say try your own silk like myself yout t2 , all the fresh ingrediants is a bonus as well, we can put the amount of stuff on we want as well

yeah true. i may have a go this afternoon as i have been craving pizza for weeks now!

pizza with partner / significant other

Hi Tom
As someone who occasionally eats pizza with my partner (admittedly rarely quite such a big portion, and usually just heated up supermarket version, perhaps with garlic bread) - I'd say a higher than usual blood glucose level is worth it once in a while for a good evening.
But, as I'm collecting him and a fellow racer from airport tonight, I'm making a huge pan of pumpkin soup (with onion & peppers) for them to have with bread when they get home. If that's not enough, then a frozen pizza will go in the oven, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back