Pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasha1

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi All...

Just been looking around for some info..regarding the pizza issue....🙂..To see if it may shed some light on it for us all....

Here goes: Pizza contains bread, meat or fish , cheese and veg. In other words its a balanced meal. The problem for diabetics is the pizza contains more bread than a traditional meal. The bread is baked hard which causes the carbohydrate to be absorbed more slowly. Cheese has also a high fat content which causes the stomach to empty more slowly. One way around the peak is to try taking 1-2 extra units of insulin..or to the actual carb content if you have calculated this...with the pizza. Another is to avoid eating the crust..If you take rapid acting insulin (NovaRapid, Humalog), it may be better to take this after the meal.

Hope this helps

Heidi
xx🙂

Thanks Heidi , you are a mine of information !!!!! If I fall off the Carb Free wagon , and indulge I will bear this in mind ... Mmmmm a cheese and pepperoni with extra anchovies Mmmmm :D I want one nowwwwww

Thanks for the info Heidi. I have not given my son pizza since he started on the pump cause i had heard it difficult to get right but i did not know what the particular problem with pizza was - but i do now! Thanks!

🙂🙂

Your welcome...AM and Mand..I'm just happy I could shed a little light on it for us all...🙂

Now you would need to check Mand with DSN or another pump user...because I'm not fully sure of the workings of pump dose's etc...but When researching it did mention about pump users..and that they could use a prolonged ("square") bolus dose.....

Heidi
xx🙂

Yes, you are right, Heidi. On the pump you can use the square wave or dual wave functions to cope with difficult foods but we have not been taught this function yet. But looking forward to doing so soon.

Hope you and Nathan doing well.

Mand x 🙂

Thanks for explaining the pizza effect Heidi, I like knowing stuff! Trouble is remembering it! But I think I'll avoid it for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back