Pizza night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrienne

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi

Couldn't do the pizza night as we were away.

I have been looking at the readings and it is all very interesting.

It seems that the supermarket bought ones had good results. The people who ate out or got takeaway went high later. Interestingly, Rossi went hypo first, imagine this was due to the huge fat content making the whole meal not start working to way after the insulin kicked in and started working far to early compared to the pizza hence the high and rising later. Rossi you are right, split dose.

Mand - same for you with a dual wave. Most on pumps find some sort of dual wave a definite.

We have horrendous readings with pizza so stear clear but this is with going out and take aways, supermarket ones seem more controlable.

What a brilliant experiment. 🙂

It was the best night of my life Adreinne i was well and truly hypered out and shant be visiting pizza again lol, Bev i cant thank you enough for suggesting these experiments.

Thank you Adrienne. Yes, i will do a dual wave next time. 🙂

I am so grateful to Bev for suggesting these nights because it is making me actually get around to experiementing as i should. 🙂

Hi Adrienne,

I had forgotten you were away on wednesday!

Rossi, great that you took part too! I agree with Adrienne that a split dose would have stopped the early hypo and spread levels out more evenly over the next 4 or 5 hours. I think Tom did the same as you - but he will try splitting next time - although he wont have to worry about splitting as he goes on the pump soon so dual waves all the way!🙂

I am pleased that you all seem to be getting something out of this experiment - that was the aim. I have learnt an awful lot since trying these 'spikey' foods - like Mand, I had sort of avoided these foods as i was too worried about the effects. But it is good to know how we can do them for future reference. Obviously these foods are not really that healthy - but they are ok once in a while.🙂Bev

will defo spilt by a good hour or more next time, I guess the worry is that I may forget to take the second dose!

Cheers

Rossi

I've just thought of one way to avoid the rise later on! Drink! Might have mine with a few beers next time to help knock the rise on the head without recourse to insulin...

will defo spilt by a good hour or more next time, I guess the worry is that I may forget to take the second dose!

Cheers

Rossi

Rossi, if you look at my figures you'll see that splitting the dose worked rather well. The only thing I might do different next time is take the first dose half an hour before eating to try and trim down the 1 and 2 hour levels. It's the frst time I've split a dose, so I was worried about forgetting the second dose and it felt very strange not to inject all the insulin I was going to need at the start of the meal!🙂

Hi

Couldn't do the pizza night as we were away.

I have been looking at the readings and it is all very interesting.

It seems that the supermarket bought ones had good results. The people who ate out or got takeaway went high later. Interestingly, Rossi went hypo first, imagine this was due to the huge fat content making the whole meal not start working to way after the insulin kicked in and started working far to early compared to the pizza hence the high and rising later. Rossi you are right, split dose.

Mand - same for you with a dual wave. Most on pumps find some sort of dual wave a definite.

We have horrendous readings with pizza so stear clear but this is with going out and take aways, supermarket ones seem more controlable.

What a brilliant experiment. 🙂

Hi there,
The pizza experiment also provided a bit of anecdotal evidence for T2s about the efficacy of insulin injections.
Two T2s took part, the one on medication scored 15.4 at 2 hours , the T2 on insulin scored 6.5.
I am looking at a grid which summarises all the readings and overall ( taking 3 and 4 hour readings into account) it seems the T2 on insulin had the best control over pizza ( although one of the kids on the pump had steady balanced bgs throughout).
Only a smidgen of evidence but it reinforces the idea that T2s have nothing to fear from insulin, it always works for them ( especially in combo with metformin) and they should not fight going onto it for too long when it is suggested to them.

Rossi, if you look at my figures you'll see that splitting the dose worked rather well. The only thing I might do different next time is take the first dose half an hour before eating to try and trim down the 1 and 2 hour levels. It's the frst time I've split a dose, so I was worried about forgetting the second dose and it felt very strange not to inject all the insulin I was going to need at the start of the meal!🙂

Northey,
I used be scared of splitting a dose - not sure why really - but once i got used to doing it i could see the advantages and had much better results when on MDI.
I am not sure injecting half an hour before would work? If i had done this with Alex - he would have been hypo before the meal arrived. I wouldnt take it even 10 minutes before as there isnt anything in the pizza that is 'quick' to absorb, well apart from the tomato sauce - but thats not a huge part of the pizza. I would bolus half on eating, and then wait for the 2 hour mark to inject the rest or perhaps the one and a half hour mark if rising too much. This is just what we did for Alex and i realise everyone is different - so feel free to ignore!🙂Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back