Pizza - I found it really hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

mum2westiesGill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I work in a nursery/primary school.
Yesterday at work I was offered a small slice of homemade cheese, tomato & pepperoni pizza but I had to refuse because I didn't know how many carbs it had in it. I would've loved to bring it home and weigh it and estimate it from a pizza on carbs and cals.

There’s an app as well.

I thought Gill used an app.
The app will allow a rough approximation of most things but wouldn’t be as accurate as weighing the thing at home.
I’m T2 so that rough idea is enough for me.

I would've loved to bring it home and weigh it and estimate it from a pizza on carbs and cals.
Realistically that wouldn't help that much, I'm afraid. You're better off estimating (trying to judge whether the base is thinner or thicker than you usually eat). Weighing's also going to include the topping. And since it was home made likely the size isn't quite what carbs and cals has (though maybe it's close enough).

Regardless, most of us find pizzas challenging (quite a lot of fat which can slow digestion). I think we can just do our best and watch what happens later.

There’s an app as well.
The app will allow a rough approximation of most things but wouldn’t be as accurate as weighing the thing at home.
I’m T2 so that rough idea is enough for me.
I use the carbs and cals app and was going to bring it home and weigh it. The pizza looked a thickish one.

Am I right in thinking you also have the Nutracheck app Gill? I find that pretty good for finding “equivalent” foods. Several different examples if you search “pizza”, and listed by diameter of pizza and size of slice, so no weighing necessary!

For bought/take a way Pizza the information you need is either on the packet or can be found on the company's web sites.

I always find that after Pizza my Bg is normal going to bed but in the 15's on waking the next day. I am assuming the dough takes longer to break down so breaks down overnight. On the odd occasion we have Pizza I can cope with a 15 once and a while as it is always back to normal by lunchtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back