pizza has pi$$ed me off

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanW81

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
i went to pizza hut for the first time in what must be 15 yrs last night. when i left house (well hotel, but im there so much i call it house now!) it was 6.3

i always add on a load more units for pizza/takeaway/restaurants, so added about 6 more units on. i had chicken wings starter & med meat supreme if your interested!

When got back home it was 3.3, bit low, so had a biscuit & it went to 7.1. Took norm nighttime amount & went to bed.

wake up & its 17! i cant quite understand that, considering the level i went to bed at???

Hmm so you wont be joining in our experiment tonight with pizza then to see what it does to our levels.Sorry to hear of this blip you had i was the same after having pizza one time it shot my levels up to 20, but now i make my own i dont have the same issues.Hope you will be able to get an answer from these wodnerful people on here.

Hmm so you wont be joining in our experiment tonight with pizza then to see what it does to our levels.Sorry to hear of this blip you had i was the same after having pizza one time it shot my levels up to 20, but now i make my own i dont have the same issues.Hope you will be able to get an answer from these wodnerful people on here.

sorry, pizza 2 nights in a row isnt agood idea for me! normally though i never have any problems with pizza, so just confused why it shot up so much during the night. ill keep an eye out on your experiment though...

I had a similar problem with Dominos so I avoid it now. Shot mine up straight away & kept them there. Was fairly unpleasant

Im going to get a Pizza Express pizza from the shop to cook at home at some point & see what happens. Thiers always strike me as better quality😛

I have problems with pizza hurt pizza and others too. You probably woke up high due to the amount of fat in the pizza (the cheese etc tends to slow down the absorption rate of the food), hence your drop in BG levels initially. This is why I have started splitting my dose of NR for any kind of pizza. Did you carb count it? The colins gem book has rough carb counts in it per slice of pizza hut pizza, and I think you can get them online too.

Yes, I'd agree with salmonpuff - the fat, which is generally quite significant in pizzas, will slow the digestion and conversion to glucose, hence the dip low then rise during the night - several hours after eating and much later than you would normally expect for a non-fatty food. I'm going to try splitting my dose for the pizza night tonight as I haven't tried that before.

following my chippy night the other night I'd be tempted to split the dose by several hours!?

Hope you find the answer soon Dan.

i went to pizza hut for the first time in what must be 15 yrs last night. when i left house (well hotel, but im there so much i call it house now!) it was 6.3

i always add on a load more units for pizza/takeaway/restaurants, so added about 6 more units on. i had chicken wings starter & med meat supreme if your interested!

When got back home it was 3.3, bit low, so had a biscuit & it went to 7.1. Took norm nighttime amount & went to bed.

wake up & its 17! i cant quite understand that, considering the level i went to bed at???

hello again.
could be the Somogyi check it out here..........
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_Somogyi_rebound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back