Pizza effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy2202

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
is there a cheese that won’t cause the pizza effect? What’s this stuff all about I’ve found on my fridge?

I’m using it on my Tuna bake so time will tell

Attachments

• 199DCABB-2D72-4E06-A19D-8C7AFE8A6161.jpeg
    199DCABB-2D72-4E06-A19D-8C7AFE8A6161.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 9
is there a cheese that won’t cause the pizza effect? What’s this stuff all about I’ve found on my fridge?

Don’t forget that it probably contains a lot more carb than cow’s milk cheese. 🙂

Don’t forget that it probably contains a lot more carb than cow’s milk cheese. 🙂
Under 5g per slice and in the context of a tuna pasta bake that’s really not going to be significant

Under 5g per slice and in the context of a tuna pasta bake that’s really not going to be significant
That's good to know. 🙂 The last time I ate vegan cheese, the packaging said 30g carb/100g cheese! So I factored it in to my carb count. 😛

My understanding is that the "pizza effect" is due to the combination of high carbs and high fat. Unless vegan cheese (I guess if you can "milk" almonds, this is still "cheese") is lower in fat, I would be surprised if it has a different effect.
Personally, I prefer to go for less but stronger dairy cheese.

Don't know of cheese that won't cause it, just know that lower fat cheese in dishes like macorroni lasagne spag bol reduces insulin resistance, so can't see why it wouldn't be same in tuna bake.

Thanks guys.

Yep still had the pizza effect that night 🙂

Will opt for higher strength cheese and less of it next time 🙂

Probably a good idea to take note of the amount of protein also? In my experience, the combined amount of protein and fat is important. Fat slows down the initial absorption of carbs, which if incorrectly dealt with can cause a hypo while eating or shortly after. Protein takes much longer to absorb and can cause elevated blood sugar even 3-4hrs after eating.

Hi,

Took some experimentation, but I found a strategy that works for pizza for me.

1. Eat pizza. 2. Wait 45mins and take full bolus for all the carbs. 5. Wait further 4 hours take an additional 5 units. I think this extra 5 units is to cover the conversion of fats to carbs by the body.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back