Pituitary Lesion requires MRI…

bigbob

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Sorry this is not diabetes related, I’m not part of any other forum and I’ve nowhere else to talk about it.

Had a CT scan - and it found an incidental pituitary lesion which they now want me to have an MRI.
I’ve also got normal TSH, with low T4 (which Google has lead be to believe means it’s probably a tumor that is causing hormone issues)

I’ve no other symptoms - I wouldn’t even have known about it apart from them finding it by accident.

Now I’m terrified I might need surgery. I’ve read the chance of cancer is low. But it’s the unknowing.

Has anyone had similar and been cured with medication? Or had the surgery and lived though it.

Thank you so much!

Yes, I was diagnised with Pituitary Adenoma about 20 years ago. It required surgery and a couple of weeks in a really pleasant ward in the hospital.

A bit scary to think about it but the outcome was excellent. Just a couple of weeks of rest after the treatment which was important.

All I have to do now is take 2 medications every day. No side effects too. The rest of my life goes on as normal too.

I get blood checks every year too, to check things are ok. Which they are.

Was I frightened? Yes. Was I worried? Yes. However, the NHS took very good care of me and I managed to cope easily.

Oh, and the hospital food was really good. Mind you I lost my sense of taste for a few months after the op!!!

The NHS were superb, once they knew what they were up against.

My life has been better since the operation too.

One of my friends had this and had the op, she has to take meds now but otherwise is fine, no side effects that she tells me of. As @Gwynn says rest afterwards was important. Let us know how it goes (((hug)))

A girl (well, woman!) I knew had a 'benign' tumour on her pituitary gland and caused her to have sort of gigantism so although she'd never been a skinny girl or young lady, she was never enormous anywhere previously and our gang didn't see her and her husband/daughters mega often so when we did, we all started noticing things like Gosh, haven't Linda's hands got big, how strange! - but didn't actually say anything about it to her cos, you know, when you haven't seen someone for months and months, and may not see them again this year, you don't suddenly tell them a bit of them looks weird!

Anyway diagnosed by accident - in outpatients waiting room with daughter at a different hospital to their local one when a young Dr started having a chat to her about her (forgotten medical name of what she had) she had to ask him to write down the name so she could go to her GP and ask to be investigated for it. So she had it whipped out and because it then left a space under the bottom of her brain they removed some thigh/bum flesh to replace it - and she had shedloads of probs with the leg healing, but none with the pituitary! and gradually shrank back to normal Linda shape/size thereafter.

They asked permission to video the operation since apparently then it was the sort of thing medics only saw once in their career, if ever. She said Yes - but only if you show it me first before hordes of other people which they agreed and did. Oh how times have changed - they'd be streaming it live to Timbuktu now!

Anyway - I'm sure you'll be fine - though of course you're scared - you'd be weird if you weren't so to my mind, proves you're normal, flower! 🙂

Hope the MRI comes round swiftly, and points the direction clearly to an appropriate course of treatment with a successful outcome for you @bigbob

It’s perfectly natural for you to worry, but try not let the anxiety-inducing Dr Google get on top of you while you wait for the actual information. 🙂

I knew someone who had it controlled with steroids.

Or radiotherapy may be an option- I work in this field and we do treat some small pituitary tumours

I know someone who was diagnosed with a benign pituitary tumour when he did not recover his vision as expected after a detached retina and they discovered the tumour was pressing on the optic nerve. All well after.

Back