Pinhole Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am back at Ophthalmology today to complete what was not completed a month ago. One thing that puzzles me that no nurse has explained was the purpose of the pinhole visual acuity test. When I wore glasses (pre cataracts) and now I don't (post cataracts) it never seems to make any difference, and in fact once or twice has been slightly worse. So does it serve any useful purpose or is it just a historical habit as no optician over a lifetime has ever done it?

When I developed cataracts all but one ophthalmologist (and my diabetic clinic and GP) blamed my diabetes despite every member of the female side (both diabetic - me and one cousin - and non diabetic) having been treated for them. It was the same with heart disease that runs on the male side. Having diabetes gives too many medical professionals who should know better tunnel vision! :(

It's asking me to create an account but despite trying carefully half-a-dozen times it keeps saying the passwords do not match;
Sorry, that's strange. I don't have an account.
Apart from a graphic of a woman covering her eye with a pinhole thing. It says this.

"Pinhole visual acuity. The pinhole is an eye shield with several small holes that allow light rays to reach the retina without the interference of optical problems of the eye. It is an excellent way to screen for uncorrected refractive errors and disorders of the ocular media. However, young children, elderly people, and mentally impaired individuals often have difficulty using it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back