pin prick

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammy1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
hi im having to take alot more readings latetly to control my bloods but the end of my fingers are getting hard and sore any ideas and has anyone used or are using the patches like libre 2 ect my diet and medication is starting to help now as my daily readings are all coming down thanks

There is a technique to finger pricking. The main things to consider are
- warm hands. Blood flows closer to the surface of the skin when it is warm which means it is easier to get blood out and you don't have to stab as deep. I either use USB charged hand warmers or just cuddle a cuppa before pricking
- not too deep. Lancing devices will have a depth control. With warm hands, you do not need to stab as deep which will cause less pain.
- when to prick. This is a personal one. Some people prefer to use the side of their finger pad, others prefer the middle. Experiment what works best for you .

You also mention your fingers are hard. They are probably dry which is more common this time of year. I recommend using a good hand cream and really massage it into your fingers. But don't do it just before pricking because it could affect your readings

Libre can be very useful but it is important to understand the limitations and not expect 100% alignment to finger pricks 100% of the time. You may still need to finger prick. Just less often.
They can work out expensive so some people use one for a couple of weeks to learn what affects their BG. Then uses what they have leaned for a month without a sensor and maybe return back to a sensor to check you are on the right path.
There is always a free trial available from their website which is worth signing up for.

I would vote for sides and for many years (20+) did 7+ finger prick blood tests per day in this way. Not so fun in the winter admittedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back