Picking my pump!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronH83

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So today I had a session with reps from 5 pump manufacturers. I would love if fellow members could offer me their advice and opinions on my options please. This has been a very long 8 year wait for me and I have done a lot of research, but I'm really wanting to hear from those more experienced who use them every day. My options are:

Omnipod: seems a bit bulky and I'm not too keen on the amount of waste it generates. Can it be recycled? Also I'd be worried about it getting knocked off. I'm a prison officer who sometimes has to get into a bit of rough and tumble. No local rep though, or local support.

DANA: first time I've ever heard of it was today! Impressed by their claims of accuracy and the design was very nice. Again, no local support or rep.

Medtrum: another first for me, very small, sensors aren't overly expensive at £70 for 2 but the transmitter is £200. Again, no local support or rep, they have to travel to NI. Like the Omnipod, I'm not sure it's right for me.

Medtronic: this is what I've picked as my favourite based on features, having a local rep and local support. The features like Bolus Calculator etc really appeal to me, as does the fact I can get a new pump within 2 hours should anything happen. Sensors seem expensive though.

T: Slim: my second choice, and has a choice of sensors to work with. I don't know whether to go with Control or Bolus IQ though? No local rep but nurses seem clued in on it. Touchscreen worries me, if it breaks I'm up the creek sans propulsion.

I will be self funding sensors, and I think it'll be 780G with Guardian 4 sensors. I do like the Medtronic philosophy of evolution, not revolution but I also like the fact the T Slim is constantly updating software wise.

I'm obviously erring towards tubed pumps rather than pods, I can tuck a tubed pod down in a waistband on my lower back out of the way, and I know of polycarbonate cases for them too that are very tough. I'd really like to hear about people who use the brands I've not heard of too. Ultimately I think the Medtronic is for me based on research but I can be swayed by actual experience from other T1Ds

I use the Dana i pump. It’s brilliant 😎 I’m on my second Dana pump so have been using it for around 6 years. When I’m due for my third pump, I’ll almost certainly pick a Dana again. As you’ve probably learnt, Dana is made by Sooil, a Korean company who made the first commercially available insulin pump. In the U.K., they’re supplied by Advanced Therapeutics who give amazing customer service.

The reasons I like the Dana is it’s robust and strong. I ruled out the Medtronic after reading of a number of people who had issues with the case cracking (and the reports of poor customer service). The Dana is also very small yet can hold 300 units. It can be controlled on the pump as normal for tubed pumps but it can also be controlled by my phone, which means I can bolus quickly and discreetly, put on a temp basal, etc, all while on my phone. The Dana also has an excellent selection of sets and cannulas, which is very important as they’re the weakest link of any pump.

During my 6 years of using the Dana, the number of problems I’ve had with it, big or small, is zero. It just works 😎 I highly recommend it. You can also loop with it. I don’t but it’s great to have that option there. All the pump ‘bits and pieces’ are very high quality and come in a smart box, perfectly laid out. Can you tell I love it? :D I’ve been pumping for 20 years and had various pumps and this is my favourite of them all.

Wow! That is quite a choice you have. In my clinic we had a choice of Medtronic or MDI until I pushed them and they allowed me to me the Medtrum "guineapig". But I am getting ahead of myself.
I have had two pumps - a tubed one (Animas which is no longer available) and Medtrum. When I was using the Animas, I had a real love-hate relationship with it. I loved the control a pump gave me, especially during exercise, but I hated that it was on display all the time. The tube did not bother me as much as the size of the pump meaning that if I tried to hide it under my clothes, you could still see a bulge (I wear "tailored" but not skin tight clothes) and I had to get it out every time I did a bolus.
When it came to replace it, my clinic had decided to only offer one pump to save money and make training easier. That pump was a Medtronic which had all the features of my Medtronic which I did not like - size, no remote control , etc. So I pleaded for, OmniPod as it was the smallest at the time. I was told it was too expensive so was not available. However, Medtrum came calling. No one had heard of them and my clinic wanted someone to trial it. I have now been using a Medtrum for 5 years. It has changed over that time and when it changes, I just get a new pump base with the new features. For example, my first Medtrum was bigger and was not possible to control via my phone.
Like all pumps, it has a bolus calculator and multiple basal patterns. I self fund the CGM although it does not do full HCL today (they keep saying it is coming). I am on my third transmitter in over 2 years and they have never charged me for them - just the sensors.
The advantages for the Medtrum for me are
- size (an advantage as far as appearance, bulk and placement options)
- phone app
- easy upgrade (not stuck with the same pump and same features for 4 years)
- no tubes to deal with
- easy to fill
- small waste footprint
The disadvantages are
- only one cannula option
- need to give larger doses (over 5units) as extended to avoid blockage. This is not a problem for me as Fiasp suits me better extended and 5 units is a very large dose for me
- I find the glue irritates me. Medtrum provide underpatches which solve this but mean more waste
- no HCL option today (but is "coming soon")

Good luck with your choice.

Whichever pump you choose it will be a revelation, and has the potential to reduce hypos by matching basal insulin to what you need hour by hour, reduce post meal spikes with the different bolus deliveries, and make exercise a lot easier as you can adapt your basal insulin prior to this.

I have been using the Medtronic 780 with their sensors for nearly three years. I chose this pump as I wanted to be able to loop. I self funded for three years and have just got funding.
  • I like the tubed pump as I can position the pump wherever I want, a spare boob, tucked away in the side of my bra, in a pocket, in a case on a belt…
  • Filling the reservoirs is easy
  • The cannula on the tube can be positioned where you want. I use my abdomen, others use legs and arms.
  • There are a variety of cannulas available to suit what you want. The DSNs often have samples of these so that you can try before choosing.
  • Replacements are prompt where needed (I broke one and drowned another as it had a crack I had not spotted and went swimming)
  • They have spare holiday pumps that you can borrow if travelling outside EU (where replacements would then take more than a day)
I use the closed loop facility (Smartguard) which works very well for me. It keeps me with a TIR of 80/90 % most of the time. This has transformed my life, and which ever pump you choose I would recommend choosing one the has the facility to loop.

I set up a 780 Users group on here (pinned in the pumping tech section) where you can find people’s tips.
Happy to answer any questions that you have.

I’ve been using the TSlim with Control IQ & Dexcom 6 for 9 months after 16yrs on Medtronic. As said above your first pump will- I hope - be a revelation whichever one you choose.

I really like my TSlim, it’s smaller than my Medtronic 640g was, it’s battery is rechargeable so no more AA batteries and I love that it can be updated so keeps up with innovations.

I like the sleep function which has given me the best glucose levels I’ve ever had through the night I always wake between 5.5 & 6 and have only had 1 night hypo in 9 months. Integration with Dexcom 6 & looping is working well,

Downsides I’ve had issues finding a cannula that suits me but Air Liquide have sent me cannula samples to try and for now I’m doing ok. Filling the reservoir from a vial & removing air bubbles is a bit of a faff but like most things I’ve got used to doing it now.

So far no issues with the touch screen, it works fine & I try to protect it as best I can. I haven’t seen a pump rep for years- apart from the session to choose a new pump. My training was virtual and covered everything I needed.

A few minor issues but in the main I’m really pleased with my TSlim.

Good luck with your choice & getting started on a pump.

Blimey 9 years is a long wait.

Whichever pump you choose you won't regret making change from injections, pumps offer up so much more flexibility to manage condition, 12 years on don't regret it for one moment.

I noticed in your profile picture, if that is you that you play ice hockey.
My consultant has another patient of his who also plays ice hockey who has never lost an omnipod playing or training. I play full contact rugby and again I have never (a year and day in) lost a pump.
But also I do make sure I wear it on my bottom or belly for matches and training. I don't think your job would result in you loosing too many based on this.

Training was online. Their reps are great on the phone and for the set up session, via teams but in the hospital. And they offer free trail pods you can wear, I did and used it during rugby training.

It has been life changing for me. Everything is better. Medical results, time in range, less hypos, better sleep, more freedom. Any pump will improve your life. It is just which one works best for you.

Looping would be my preference if an option I would take that, even over the Omnipod.

I've had Medtronic for 7 years, mostly positive. However, negatives for me are that I have had 4 cracks requiring pump replacement in that time, it's a known weak point and none of them were caused by dropping the pump. If it breaks at a weekend there is no UK service, it took me 5 days to get a replacement that time, despite being 37 weeks pregnant! Got no response to my complaint about that either ☹️

That’s shocking @Pigeon 😳:(
Yes, it did make me think twice when it came to renewal. My only other options were Omnipod (seemed rather bulky, I like the flexibility of tubing, plus not having to carry another device around with me for lump control) or T Slim, which sounded faffy to fill. Have now been offered sensors for the Medtronic, so happy that I stayed with one with this option

I'd like to thank everyone for their input, I'm extremely happy to say that I have chosen the Medtronic 780 and I'll be self funding the Guardian sensors until they come onto prescription.

I tried the Omnipod trial (non functioning) pod to see how it felt. I wasn't overly confident in it surviving and sadly my fears came true when the second day it got knocked off despite prep with alcohol wipes and skintac. The lack of local support also worried me.

I also trialled the Medtrum which started to come loose on Day 3 which I assume wouldn't be much of an issue as it would be due changing, however the lack of local support also worried me.

I liked the DANA and T Slim Tandem, but I've been told the compatible sensors won't be prescribed in NI. This led me to picking the Medtronic. Local support and prescription sensors (eventually) really swayed me, plus the DSNs weren't pushing it but were very enthusiastic about it.

I did go into this with an open mind, I really tried to do all the research and testing I possibly could under the circumstances and once again thank you to everyone on the forum who gave their opinion and experience with the different pumps.

Roll on the 16th May so I can get my training and get started!

I might be a bit late in responding, but, although I wasn’t offered it, I requested the Ypsomed/mylife pump.
My team granted my wish, (albeit I’m probably the only one who upgraded to this pump from Roche insight.)
I’m closed looping with Canaps FX .
I chose this pump (after a lot of research,) for a number of reasons, including using the Novo Rapid pump carts (like I did with the Roche pump.)
It’s an easy to use pump, very small, and, my main reason, it uses novorapid pump carts.
I never have to use the pump itself, apart from changing the pump cartridge. Everything is done on the CamAPS app.
It’s only available on android (I’m a heard core iPhone user, ) but bought a cheap refurbished android purely for diabetes, it’s nice to have my life separate from diabetes. So, I do carry two phones around, but, it’s no hardship.
Time in target is 98% and my hba1c is 45%
As long as you are a pro at carb counting, it’s a winner for me.

Great to hear you have a date for your 780 pump. Happy to answer any questions that you have.

Great to hear you have a date for your 780 pump. Happy to answer any questions that you have.
Pump arrived this week and it came with a box of the Extended wear reservoirs and infusion sets. Have you any experience of these? Apparently they can be worn for a week before needing to be changed?

Pump arrived this week and it came with a box of the Extended wear reservoirs and infusion sets. Have you any experience of these? Apparently they can be worn for a week before needing to be changed?
I know of others who are using these and find them great , changing on the same day as the sensor. I found that I got skanky cannula sites so went back to three day ones. Worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back