Physical activities

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterJohn

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
Pete here aged 58 - type 2 5 years
I was very active over the weekend in the garden Saturday and Sunday I then played golf , which alone was 16500 steps. Not felt great today just tested at 11.9.
I have eaten well I think ?? shredded wheat breakfast , brown bread toasted cheese sandwich (bread 1.1g per slice) and bag of crisps at .4g For lunch. I did have some sugar free biscuits. Which are still .5 each. X 5 so I reckon a total of 9grams of sugar.
so I don’t think I have eaten to bad my target is 29g.
can physically being tired give me that reading ? Or perhaps I just tired ! Can tiredness push me up ?
Thanks in advance

How many grams of carbohydrates? That all sounds quite high in carbs to me, so no surprise you’re seeing a reading of 11.

I'm not sure where you are getting your carb numbers from but I suspect you are just looking at the sugar not the TOTAL carbohydrates. A shredded wheat 16g carbs each, bread unless the low carb bread 16g carbs min per slice, crisps likely 20g carbs. Sugarfree biscuits are still high carb. So you may only have had 9g sugar but you have had probably 70g carbs so that will explain your high blood glucose reading.
High blood glucose will make you tired not the other way round
It is important to look at the total carbs not just the sugar and many people will be aiming at no more than 130g total carbs per day but spread out among their meals. Those are all very high carb foods with little protein.

Sounds like you had a busy weekend - great to hear you are keeping active.

Focussing only on sugar content can give confusing results, because some items can have very little added sugar but still have substantial total carbohydrate content - and the body is pretty adept at breaking down the longer chains of starches into simple sugars.

Many members here find it more helpful to aim for a daily target for total carbohydrates rather than just sugars. The exact number varies from person to person. Low carbohydrate is usually considered 130g or less of carbs per day. Some here will aim for a little lower than that (perhaps 60g-980g), while others do well on 150-170g.

I would think the tiredness may have been connected to the higher glucose levels, and that without your level of activity your levels may have been much higher!

Hi,
Pete here aged 58 - type 2 5 years
I was very active over the weekend in the garden Saturday and Sunday I then played golf , which alone was 16500 steps. Not felt great today just tested at 11.9.
I have eaten well I think ?? shredded wheat breakfast , brown bread toasted cheese sandwich (bread 1.1g per slice) and bag of crisps at .4g For lunch. I did have some sugar free biscuits. Which are still .5 each. X 5 so I reckon a total of 9grams of sugar.
so I don’t think I have eaten to bad my target is 29g.
can physically being tired give me that reading ? Or perhaps I just tired ! Can tiredness push me up ?
Thanks in advance
Oh wow - someone must have misinformed you about the way to eat.
You need to be keeping track of carbohydrates - they are the starches and sugars. Two slices of bread are normally over what most type 2s can cope with.
Swapping to sources of protein and fat should help a lot in keeping control of blood glucose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back