Phew!

Speedbird

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've not been posting as OH and I have been spending a lot of time in France staying with my brother and SIL. They run an equestrian business (stud and training) and like to look after their staff so provide breakfast and lunch prepared by the full-time cook they employ. Food is traditionally French - mainly plain, cooked from scratch, and delicious. Everyone gathers for lunch and my nod to diabetes has been to reduce, but not entirely cut out, potatoes, bread (the latter has been hard!), and anything obviously sweet - and my finger prick tests since April have consistently remained in 5s and 6s. Maybe it's French food, I don't know, but I can only hope it continues.

What I'm really posting about, though, is my eye test results, received today - no retinopathy! Last year it was present and I was concerned as, although I no longer fly commercially, CAA medical requirements are (quite rightly) stringent.

I know vigilance will always need to be maintained, but it's good to have reassurance I'm on the right track for now.

(Incidentally, brother and I are twins, but he's escaped the dreaded T2.‍♀️)

If you're cutting down the french bread you deserve a medal! We are off on our annual trip to France next month and I know from experience how hard it is. There is nothing in Britain which approaches freshly baked croissants and baguettes picked up from the boulangerie first thing in the morning. I shall try to keep consumption to a minimum but I will be having some regardless! 😉

What I'm really posting about, though, is my eye test results, received today - no retinopathy! Last year it was present and I was concerned as, although I no longer fly commercially, CAA medical requirements are (quite rightly) stringent.

Wahooo! That’s great news @Speedbird - really pleased for you!

There is nothing in Britain which approaches freshly baked croissants and baguettes picked up from the boulangerie first thing in the morning.

Completely agree @Vonny - fresh French bread in France is really something else. I’m not sure if it’s my imagination, but it always seemed even nicer outdoors in front of a tent.

Wahooo! That’s great news @Speedbird - really pleased for you!

Completely agree @Vonny - fresh French bread in France is really something else. I’m not sure if it’s my imagination, but it always seemed even nicer outdoors in front of a tent.
And the butter is better too. The combination is irresistible so OP definitely needs a medal.

Normandy butter on a lump of baguette. Pain au choc. Real 'Neapoitan' ice cream - 1 boule fraise, 1 cafe, 1 pistache, drool. Fresh moules freshly cooked and served red hot - mariniere or a la creme depending on how we feel, but you do need approx. a third of yet another baguette to mop up and savour the sauce! Gauffres. Frites. Crepes.

Oh hell - son in law commented yesterday that this time 5 years ago we were together on the banks of a carp lake at Vitry le Francois - and that was the last time we went to France, though being very regular visitors for a couple of decades previously. Wasn't bad at all before that B word or the C one but with the various things we've both gathered as we've got older trying to hasten our ends - medical expenses insurance has got to be silly money.

Excellent news @Speedbird
Talk of fresh French bread. Mmmmm

I encourage experimenting with new recipes that incorporate local ingredients, as this can be an interesting way to manage your diet. It might also be beneficial to consider rel/axation techniques that can help cope with the str ess of managing diabetes😉

Amused at your comments about French bread; I think it's the equivalent of the bacon sandwiches vegetarians blame for falling off the wagon (what is it about bacon?). Half the joy of a pot of moules is mopping up the wine and cream, cider, or whatever with chunks of that lovely bread.

I resisted the urge to eat a whole croissant with my morning chocolate (made with melted dark chocolate, cream and water, and erythritol); OH kindly obliged by eating the other half.

My approach to T2 is moderation, which seems to have worked so far, but I don't kid myself for one minute that I can indulge with abandon in the type of food that landed me here.

To the last poster, I agree with you about local cuisine as even before I tipped into T2 territory, my belief was there's some merit in the theory that gut bacteria (or microbiota) thrive on variety and unusual foodstuffs - even putting it to the test in Australia by sampling witchetty grubs. They were actually quite palatable - and score very low for carbs.

Back