PhD diabetes research. Participants needed for a quick online study.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RachelGray87

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
diabetes study.jpg
Hi everyone, my name is Rachel and i have been a Type 1 diabetic for 27 years. I recently started my PhD research into diabetes to help raise awareness and to make a change. Please see my advert below for the study, I am grateful for everyone who can spare 10 minutes to take part. **‘ This study has been approved by Mike @everydayupsanddowns ’**

We are researchers at the University of Bradford, Division of Psychology and we are investigating time of day effects in diabetics and non-diabetics on cognitive tests.

If you are interested in taking part you will be asked some information about you, and about what food and/or drink you have had in the last three hours, along with a few short questions on your diabetes management (if applicable). You will then carry out some cognitive tests. The study should take approximately ten minutes and you will not need to give your name at any point.

Please only take part if:
(i) You are over 18
(ii) You do not have a clinical diagnosis of dementia
(iii) You do not have a clinical diagnosis of a cognitive impairment
(iv) You are fluent in English

I am using Gorilla software for this study, please see the privacy policy here. https://app.gorilla.sc/privacy

The second is a link to the study. https://research.sc/.../8745DBF9-5A20-4DFC-BCA9-B879FE178C10

Please note: if you are doing the study on a mobile phone, auto-rotate may need to be switched on. Also, if you have trouble accessing the study, please copy and paste the link to the study in a separate browser.
Please note: that part of the study does not work on all mobile phones, therefore you may wish to use a different device to complete the study.

I have just taken the test and didn't see any instructions for completing the diagram test, so didn't understand what I was supposed to do. Perhaps I did not read that part properly before starting, or perhaps your instructions need to be clearer. Not sure it was a fair test all round as too much information had to be remembered in too short a time.

I don't know how you'll control for individual ability (strengths/weaknesses in the tests), time of day effects for a given person and blood glucose effects for a given person without doing repeat tests on a given person (different times of day, different blood glucose), unless you're expecting to obtain such large numbers of test results such that you can assume you've covered the full population ability/time of day/blood glucose ranges - what are the required participant numbers to achieve this out of interest?

Well ! That was HARD. It's much more of a memory test than anything else really, so I know I didn't manage that well on some of them, too quick for me. The last one put me in mind of one of my 3 yo nephew's Xmas presents when he was 3ish - a 'game' called Simon. A round thing with segments which lit up and made a noise in sequence and the task was for the player to repeat the sequence, Andy had no trouble whatever, but most of the adults did. He finished up as a computer wiz. in the dealing room at a major bank owned by Mr Sumitomo and then decided to move to Australia coz his parents and sister had already gone there. With his speciality his only choice was Sydney which he didn't like much, so he just stopped doing it, moved where he did like (Townsville) and did general tech support for anyone's business computer.

I have just taken the test and didn't see any instructions for completing the diagram test, so didn't understand what I was supposed to do. Perhaps I did not read that part properly before starting, or perhaps your instructions need to be clearer. Not sure it was a fair test all round as too much information had to be remembered in too short a time.
Thank you for taking part in my study and also thank you for your feedback on the tests, as this is my first study released i appreciate your thoughts and views which will help me in the future 🙂

I don't know how you'll control for individual ability (strengths/weaknesses in the tests), time of day effects for a given person and blood glucose effects for a given person without doing repeat tests on a given person (different times of day, different blood glucose), unless you're expecting to obtain such large numbers of test results such that you can assume you've covered the full population ability/time of day/blood glucose ranges - what are the required participant numbers to achieve this out of interest?
Hi, thank you for your comment and question. Your observations are exactly what we will be investigating in future studies, as this is my first one released it is almost "testing the waters" to observe what comparisons and significant results we can achieve and can then further expand on the original findings. Based on prior published research within the same field we have based required participant numbers at a minimum of 86 and with no stopping rule. So i hope for much higher numbers of participation. Thank you again 🙂

Well ! That was HARD. It's much more of a memory test than anything else really, so I know I didn't manage that well on some of them, too quick for me. The last one put me in mind of one of my 3 yo nephew's Xmas presents when he was 3ish - a 'game' called Simon. A round thing with segments which lit up and made a noise in sequence and the task was for the player to repeat the sequence, Andy had no trouble whatever, but most of the adults did. He finished up as a computer wiz. in the dealing room at a major bank owned by Mr Sumitomo and then decided to move to Australia coz his parents and sister had already gone there. With his speciality his only choice was Sydney which he didn't like much, so he just stopped doing it, moved where he did like (Townsville) and did general tech support for anyone's business computer.
Thank you for completing the study 🙂 I appreciate everyone's feedback

I understood all of em PDQ actually, but didn't have enough time to type any number of answers before it timed out and started the next Q. There is a difference between my cognisance and my actual speed, hardly such an amazing a discovery in a woman 73 years young, I'd have thought!

Done the test but like @trophywench I needed more time to get keyboard up and switch to numbers and then enter. As the sequence got longer I ran out of time to enter them all.

Do the tests allow for your husband interrupting to say "have you seen the cat?", thus putting you off your stride for the next 3 questions! Only joking (partly) - it was interesting, but I'm seriously not sure how you can relate test performance to diabetes management without allowing for a zillion other factors. Diabetes isn't all we do, as I'm sure you're aware!

Wishing you well in your research

Done the test but like @trophywench I needed more time to get keyboard up and switch to numbers and then enter. As the sequence got longer I ran out of time to enter them all.
Thank you for taking part and thank you also for your feedback, this is something i can look into for future studies 🙂

Do the tests allow for your husband interrupting to say "have you seen the cat?", thus putting you off your stride for the next 3 questions! Only joking (partly) - it was interesting, but I'm seriously not sure how you can relate test performance to diabetes management without allowing for a zillion other factors. Diabetes isn't all we do, as I'm sure you're aware!

Wishing you well in your research
Thank you for doing the study 🙂 I completely agree with you, it is so much more than only diabetes, when i come to look at the data when the study is finished there's many more factors that i will take into consideration. I also hope to expand on this first study with further research into all the other factors so we can get a "bigger picture". Thank you again

I would just like to say thank you to every one who took the time to complete my study, and also thank you for all your feedback as this is very beneficial for my future studies so that i can make changes and improve.

I suspect I would skew the results so decided to stay clear. I have dyslexia and could never do mental arithmetic or remember phone numbers easily, as I can't pin them down. My teacher in junior school used to be really scathing, but the more stressed I became the less I could retain.
Now, I could hear a song and be able to remember all the words, and some poetry and soliloquies but numbers to be remembered still make me shudder.

Too hard for me !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back