Pharmacists to get access to GP records, says health secretary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Health secretary Jeremy Hunt has revealed that changes will be made to allow pharmacists to access patients? GP records.

During a Parliamentary discussion on changes to health services in London yesterday (30 October 2013), Mr Hunt said: "One of the changes that we are introducing, which I think could make a very big difference is, where there are proper protections in place for patients, allowing pharmacists to access GP records so that they can make sure that they give people the correct medicines and know about their allergies," he said.

http://www.pjonline.com/news/pharmacists_to_get_access_to_gp_records_says_health_secretary

I would like to know how this could happen, given that large parts of the health service are unable to access patient records due to the lack of an integrated IT system :confused: Also, which pharmacies? All of them? Which staff? All of them? What happened to patient confidentiality? :(

Over my dead body! As someone in here said yesterday. This is a daft a notion as that lasted ID card one that died in the face of insurmountable IT issues.

I don't want my data flashed all over the bloody place to who knows how many folk. It isn't necessary, or right, or even moral.

Are pharmacists even covered by the same oaths as doctors and nurses?

I'm steaming! 😡😡😡

During a Parliamentary discussion on changes to health services in London yesterday (30 October 2013), Mr Hunt said: "One of the changes that we are introducing, which I think could make a very big difference is, where there are proper protections in place for patients, allowing pharmacists to access GP records so that they can make sure that they give people the correct medicines and know about their allergies," he said.

The above statement could be classed as laughable.
A the GP writes the prescription the pharmacist reads and dispenses.
B Allergies all that can be kept at the pharmacy. The pharmacist doesn't need to know anything else.
C Proper protection for patients ! Even more simple keep the records private and confidential between patient and GP.

I don't want my info plastered to any pharmacy under the sun. The one I currently use, has put flags on their records to meds that I react to (with my permission), which does help as docs keep prescribing the wrong meds.

Its a second pair of eyes looking at medication that could do you harm. Its for the better 🙂

Several times I've been prescribed a drug where the pharmacist has come to the counter to ask if I'm allergic to something and they do keep a record of what they normally prescribe anyway, and check whether the new scrip is contra-indicated to any of the existing ones.

As it happens so far I haven't been allergic to anything except that stuff they inject to stop your juices flowing when you have an operation with a general anaesthetic - and that's not very likely to happen in the pharmacy!

But if I was allergic to anything, I'd ask em to put it on my record.

Its a second pair of eyes looking at medication that could do you harm. Its for the better 🙂

This isn't about looking at medication, it's about every Tom, Dick and Harry having access to your personal medical records.

Depends on the IT system doesn't it?

Our docs have to insert their personal ID card into a slot on their keyboard, then enter their personal password into the system to access certain parts of the hospital records, so I see no reason why that would not be the same for pharmacies.

ie the doctors receptionists and the nurses do not have access to that part of the system.

When they come back out onto the GP system, the hospital part closes and they have to re-enter the password again.

Presumably this would be the same in the pharmacy, where only the actual qualified pharmacist(s) could do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back