1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Personality, mental issues with non animal insulin

Discussion in 'General Messageboard' started by she, Nov 10, 2019 at 12:59 PM.

1. she

she New Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 2
    Has anyone had issues with personality/mental issues with non animal insulin I read this article and am concerned as it seems to have caused me issues, I take Smeglee, does anyone else take this, its pretty new

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/1999/mar/09/1

2. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member

Type 1
    I had to google Semglee. It’s a biosimilar insulin to Lantus (ie, works in the same way, but cheaper, a rival for the other biosimilar one, Abasalgar, I assume).
    I’ve a feeling one of our members @trophywench had a problem with sudden hypos when switching from one sort of insulin to another, but I’m not sure what to what.

3. everydayupsanddowns

everydayupsanddowns Moderator

Type 1
    Robin likes this.
  4. trophywench

trophywench Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Ah - that was swapping from porcine insulin to Humalin donkeys years ago the 9then new) so-called 'human' insulin. Lots of people had similar probs with it being used for MDI because the Humalin I they used as basal was intermediate (hence the I) not slow acting so when the medium acting stuffin it joined in with a bolus of the Humalin S (for soluble) you'd taken as a bolus with your last meal - you went hypo, wham with no prior warning. Sadly it would happen about 6 hours after eating lunch, ie whilst I was negotiating the M42 on the way home from work ……..

Robin likes this.
  5. Flower

Flower Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Hello and welcome to the forum @she :)

I'm sorry you are facing issues with your medication. The article is from 1999 and insulins have moved on from that point, hardly any of us use animal insulin now but during the change over to synthetic insulins it did cause a lot of issues .

Have you recently started on insulin or have you been changed over to use Semglee? Either way if you are having problems that coincide with starting a new insulin get back to the prescribing doctor as soon as possible and disuss the issues and either return to use an insulin that has suited you previously or if you're a new insulin user there are others that can be tried. Some insulins just don't suit us but there are alternatives. Best Wishes.

Pumper_Sue likes this.
  6. Pumper_Sue

Pumper_Sue Well-Known Member

Type 1
    There have been quite a lot of articles regarding the side effects of Lantus. These articles were quite a few years ago though, you also have to remember that all drugs/medications can and do affect people in different ways. So the Lantus (Smeglee,) could be causing you problems so have a discussion with your health care provider about trying something else.

grovesy and Carlos like this.
  7. Benny G

Benny G Well-Known Member

Side note.
    If Lister, or Cat, needed to shoot insulin it would be appropriate to choose Smeglee. All things smeg being a constant source of amusement aboard the Red Dwarf.

The Insulin is called 'Semglee'.

8. eggyg

eggyg Well-Known Member

Type 1
    I love all things Red Dwarf and I did wonder at the name. I’m proud to announce I have a SMEG oven, hob, kettle and toaster. I must be a Smeg head! :D

Benny G likes this.
  9. trophywench

trophywench Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Yes - and clearly made of money! LOL

eggyg likes this.
  10. eggyg

eggyg Well-Known Member

Type 1
    You can’t take it with you Jenny. We’re definitely SKIERS ( spending kids inheritance)! :D Oh I forgot the SMEG cooker hood too! :)