Peripheral neuropathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

medanii59

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have type 2 diabetes, and have peripheral neuropathy it leaves my feet with cuts all over them. Can anyone recommend a cream. I'm spending a fortune on them.

I have type 2 diabetes, and have peripheral neuropathy it leaves my feet with cuts all over them. Can anyone recommend a cream. I'm spending a fortune on them.
Boots or Scholl cracked heel repair cream is very good but you could ask the pharmacist what they would recommend.
You might want to change your name as people don't usually use their e-mail address to prevent scams.

Thanks for the advice. I'm a dinosaur I don't know how to change it. It takes me 20 minutes to work out how to turn kettle on

It will need an administrator to change a user name. I am sure @everydayupsanddowns will oblige when he next logs in.

I’ve shortened your username for you Blanche.

Another cream that gets mentioned is Flexitol. I think some are able to get that on prescription.

On my hands I find ‘oKeefes working hands’ is good. Not sure if it would work the same for feet?

Maybe one of the moderators will have to do it for you.

It'll have to be a moderator that lives nearby, surely, to be able to pop around and put the kettle on. 🙂

I’ve shortened your username for you Blanche.

Another cream that gets mentioned is Flexitol. I think some are able to get that on prescription.

On my hands I find ‘oKeefes working hands’ is good. Not sure if it would work the same for feet?
There is a feet version of this

I have tried Flexitol and O'Keefe's and pretty well everything else on the market including things not on the market like a mixture of lard and sugar and Udder cream used for cows! Flexitol was the only thing that worked for me until someone recommended Margaret Dabbs Foot Hygiene Cream. It is expensive (about £25 for a 150ml tub) but you just need a tiny amount of it, so a 150ml tub lasts me a year and it is even better than the Flexitol and smells gorgeous too, like a really expensive spa treatment. I don't generally buy branded products but this is one that I will not be without because having sore cracked feet is no fun. It is important to keep your feet warm too so I always wear socks even to bed, because as soon as my feet get cold the cracks appear. I also find that Compede plasters really speed up the healing process if you have cracks/splits.
I should say that I don't have neuropathy just very dry cracked skin on my hands and feet from being a child, so I have spent a lifetime looking for something that works. I also find it is important to rasp down any hard dry skin on my feet on a regular basis but if you have neuropathy, you would need to be very careful not to take too much off.

Also important to manage your diabetes as well as possible to prevent neuropathy progressing.

Hi @medanii59

I’ve got peripheral neuropathy and very dry skin on my feet & heels & have tried a variety of creams over the years most recently my podiatrist suggested CCS cream available in Boots & other high street chemists.

Creams with a higher urea content such as Flexitol & CCS are recommended to be the best for improving badly cracked skin. Keep a close eye on any cuts and splits in the skin as neuropathy can reduce feeling & senation in the feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back