peripheral neuropathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brambleberry

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I do seem to be puzzling my GP. I have had fibromyalgia for 26 yrs. It is now known that people with advanced fibro can get peripheral neuropathy. It is believed that the nerve endings die because of constant spasms and attacks by the auto immune system.It does not cause peripheral vascular disease. But here I am with a new diagnoses of type 2 diabetes which has come out of nowhere. When you have yearly bloods and HbA1c or fasting glucose is fine, no one has even suggested glucose intolerance I mean why would they? The drugs I take for fibro pile the weight on you round he middle, but its drug induced. So this diagnoses has come out of the blue. So my question to my GP was do you think there has been an undetected problem over the years because I am have constant symptoms in my feet. She doesn't know.I am waiting for nerve conduction tests.The symptoms started with an ever so slight numbness in toes about 2006.Slowly getting worse. Sent for x rays for mortons neuroma but nothing detected. Now when bad the pain is unbearable especially in bed on a night if I have been on my feet a lot.
Well suppose it is what it is. And probably due to the fibro but now I have T2 I think I will need to be extra careful.

If you have been having annual HbA1c checks which have been in the non-diabetes range, it seems quite unlikely that any nerve pain you are experiencing is related to your blood glucose levels - because evidence shows that lower HbA1c help protect people with diabetes from nerve damage risk.

However, based on the experiences of members who live with peripheral neuropathy - elevated and erratic BG levels are associated with increased discomfort. So perhaps if some nerve damage existed as a result of your fibromyalgia, then perhaps this has been exacerbated by your more recent glucose disruption?

Hope the results of your nerve conduction tests offer some useful information. 🙂

That makes sense. Hoping tests do not confirm unsafe to drive. I need my car for my job.Though I have not had a problem so far, however I work from home a lot now since the lockdown. But recently got caught in a horrendous traffic jam over 2 hrs stop starting and it really affected my feet, were getting very sore and paid the priced the few days after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back