Peripheral neuropathy question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickS

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
The reason I had the blood test that identified that I have T2 was that my feet were a bit tingley, particularly in the evenings.
Once I had my diagnosis I put two and two together and got on to my GP. He prescribed a mild antidepressant, (a common prescription for neuropathy apparemtly),which makes me slightly happier that I have the problem, but doesn't help with the actual issue.
Does anyone else have a similar issue? it's not bad, just a bit of a pain.
Any advice, other treatments, tips and ttricks would be very gratefully received.
Thanks
Nick

What’s the name of the medication your doctor prescribed @NickS ? There are supplements you can take but if you’re on medication from your doctor you would need to check first.

Alpha Lipoic Acid is one such supplement. It’s prescribed in some European countries but not here. It’s not cheap.

Hi
One of the best things you can do for neuropathy is to gently improve your blood glucose management.
What, if any, medication have you been given for your diabetes and have you made the all important changes to your diet and lifestyle? Do you have a BG meter to test your blood and see which foods are causing you the most BG upheaval so that you can tailor your diet to your body's individual response?
Lowering your BG levels and keeping them more stable should stop any further damage to your nerves and often help them to repair..... which unfortunately can also be a bit painful but hopefully should resolve after 2-3 months.

Would I be right in guessing that the medication for the neuropathy is Amitriptyline?

I too have tingling in my feet, especially at night. When I mentioned it to my GP a while ago he said it wouldn't be my diabetes causing it as it is well controlled. He sent me to see a physiotherapist as he thought I may have a trapped nerve in my back. After twisting me and turning me into lots of different positions she concluded no problems there. So I still dont know what is causing it. I dont think I would want to be taking anti depressants for it though. I read something a while ago (think it was on here) that vitamin B12 helps with tingling, so may try that.

Hi @NickS the medication you have been given is likely to be Duloxetine
a much used medication for the treatment of DPN, it is also used in the
treatment as an antidepressant and Epilepsy. If it doesn`t work on its own
Gabapentin (Neurontin) or Pregabalin (Lyrica) is the normal medication
supplied with it.

Neuropathy can be cured in most cases but some of us have it for life,
as @rebrascora says BG levels need to be kept under control and your feet
need a lot of pampering washed everyday and moisturised too but no cream
between your toes for risk of infection.

I hope this helps take care Ted xx

Hi @NickS,

I began to experience Peripheral Neuropathy in my feet approximately one month prior to my T1 diagnosis in December. Initially I experienced only occasional and mild loss of sensation in some of my toes, but by early January this had worsened to such a degree that it was, at times, agony to walk. I mentioned this to a colleague whose partner also has T1, who immediately forwarded this Youtube link to me as they had found it useful in the past:

Since Saturday last week I have been taking Alpha-Lipoic Acid (2 x 600mg daily), Benfotiamine (2 x 300mg daily) and Tocotrienols (2 x 50mg daily) and am astonished at how effectively they've reduced the pains. I take these on an empty stomach - I swallow the first 'dose' at 11AM (3 hours after breakfast, two hours before lunch) and the second 'dose' at 7PM (6 hours after lunch, two hours before I eat dinner). Today my feet have felt the best they have in months. 20220201_233159[586].jpg

Hi @Wolder.

Yes these products work in a lot of cases happily they worked for you,
in a lot of European countries they`re free on prescription but not over
here. Another combination is 300 mg slow release Alpha Lipoic Acid,
1300 mg Evening Primrose Oil with 10% GLA and 500 mg Vitamin C.

Really depends on how quick the problem is diagnosed.

Hi @Wolder.

Yes these products work in a lot of cases happily they worked for you,
in a lot of European countries they`re free on prescription but not over
here. Another combination is 300 mg slow release Alpha Lipoic Acid,
1300 mg Evening Primrose Oil with 10% GLA and 500 mg Vitamin C.

Really depends on how quick the problem is diagnosed.
Can this be taken along side gabapentin does anyone know?

Your doctor or DSN will advise you, as your T1 it may be more difficult to treat
although T2 has the same problem, Gabapentin is used to solve or help nerve
problems. I can`t advise you on your question because I am not medically
qualified but I have done extensive research on DPN and because you are on
Gabapentin and it does not suppress your pain its worth asking your doctor
if they can prescribe another medication to go with it.

Gabapentin on its own doesn`t always give you relief, Duloxetine with Gabapentin
works for me depends how much pain you have and is available on prescription.
The products to which I responded to @Wolder is freely available but the slow
release Alpha Lipoic Acid is more expensive than the normal one so have a word
with your doctor first may save you some money.

Are you in pain with DPN despite taking Gabapentin? I`m on 3200 mg of Gabapentin
and 60 mg of Duloxetine yeah quite a lot but it only suppresses it, pain is still there 24/7.
If you`ve had it for a while and still uncomfortable doc should be able to help you.

Keep the thread going and come back and tell us how you`ve got on, kind regards Ted.

Hi Ted, thank you for your reply, much appreciated. I've had PN for a couple of years but only diagnosed withe diabetes in April 2021 so not officially a diagnosis of DNP. I didn't have any investigations but was put on nortriptyline with no effect and then 1500mg of gabapentin which has done a pretty good job until now. On the back of my thread on here I'm going to pursue a podiatry referral as I am concerned because the pain is getting worse and the numbness spreading up my calves. My blood sugars are pretty stable so there's nothing to be done there but it's good to know higher doses of gaba are possible. I'll also look into the Duloxytine as I've never heard of that. I just want to try to get things a bit more under control as its starting to impact on work and by knock on effect, leisure and I'm a bit fed up!

Hi,
The reason I had the blood test that identified that I have T2 was that my feet were a bit tingley, particularly in the evenings.
Once I had my diagnosis I put two and two together and got on to my GP. He prescribed a mild antidepressant, (a common prescription for neuropathy apparemtly),which makes me slightly happier that I have the problem, but doesn't help with the actual issue.
Any advice, other treatments, tips and ttricks would be very gratefully received.
Thanks
Nick
Hi Nick, my apologies for hijacking your thread somewhat. As you can see I am on prescription meds and found these useful for a long time so it is worth a conversation with your GP. In terms of tips and tricks I find keeping my feet warm makes a real difference. I often sit with a hot water bottle on my feet filled just from the hot tap (be really careful as nerve damage can affect your ability to detect temperature so I never use more than hand hot water). Diabetic socks also help me as they have no seams or elastic so no pressure points. In the summer cool water has also helped me as it reduced the swelling and soothed my feet. If you live by the sea, try collecting some sea water and soaking your feet in that - it does wonders for racehorses' legs so I'm planning to try it on my next trip to the beach :D:D I'm not going to risk paddling though as the thought of a bit of shell in my foot gives me ulcer nightmares: I'll find somewhere to sit and swing my feet though 🙂

Last edited:
Hi Nick, my apologies for hijacking your thread somewhat. As you can see I am on prescription meds and found these useful for a long time so it is worth a conversation with your GP. In terms of tips and tricks I find keeping my feet warm makes a real difference. I often sit with a hot water bottle on my feet filled just from the hot tap (be really careful as nerve damage can affect your ability to detect temperature so I never use more than hand hot water). Diabetic socks also help me as they have no seams or elastic so no pressure points. In the summer cool water has also helped me as it reduced the swelling and soothed my feet. If you live by the sea, try collecting some sea water and soaking your feet in that - it does wonders for racehorses' legs so I'm planning to try it on my next trip to the beach :D:D I'm not going to risk paddling though as the thought of a bit of shell in my foot gives me ulcer nightmares: I'll find somewhere to sit and swing my feet though 🙂
Hi Everyone,

As a Type 2 diabetic, I am suffering from neuropathy in my shoulders and feet. I have decided to try a Benfotiamine and Tocotrienols and Alpha Lipoic Acid combination. I have noticed that several people (both here and in other places) recommend taking the former two on an empty stomach, whereas the manufacturer's label recommends taking them with food. Not sure what to do. Is there an added benefit to taking them on an empty stomach? Thanks.

Hi @DW1 welcome to the forum.

The first question I have to ask is :- have you had a medical diagnosis for your condition?
Its very important to get a proper Dx`s as other medical factors can apply to these symptoms,
there`s no real medical research for or against using Benfotiamine or Tocotrienals other than
what users have written.

I urge you to seek medical advice before you spend your hard earned cash on these two products,
it may work for you it may not but a HCP will be able to Dx your problem and advise you appropriately.
Medication is available on prescription and in a lot of diabetics the problem can be cured sadly for
others this is not the case, also there are three main types of Neuropathy so a proper Dx is crucial.
Keeping Blood Sugar levels (BGL) under control is also crucial so measuring your BGL often helps.

Please let the forum know what your last HbA1c result was and any medication you are on? you can
put it in your signature so it shows every time you post this will give members more detail to help you.
If you have a meter for testing we can also advise you how to get the best out of it, I hope this helps
and please only post medical details if you wish to.

Kindest regards and once again welcome.
Ted

Hi Ted,
Thanks so much for your reply. I have not had a diagnosis of neuropathy. Initially I was told by the GP that it was shingles, despite having none of the symptoms associated with shingles - not even chicken pox as a child. After their prescribed 'two-week wait' followed by a month-long bout of steroid cream, I was prescribed amitriptyline and sent away with no instructions. I attended the doctor originally with very cold feet and was subsequently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. The coincidence in time of this diagnosis and the developing pains led me to research the issue myself and I have come to believe that it is neuropathy.

My latest blood sugar reading was 6.2, in the morning before food. I am taking 4 metformin a day and one statin for high cholesterol. I am not remotely overweight and eat very healthily and diabetes-friendly.

Thanks again for your reply.

P.S What's an HPC?

Hi Ted,
Thanks so much for your reply. I have not had a diagnosis of neuropathy. Initially I was told by the GP that it was shingles, despite having none of the symptoms associated with shingles - not even chicken pox as a child. After their prescribed 'two-week wait' followed by a month-long bout of steroid cream, I was prescribed amitriptyline and sent away with no instructions. I attended the doctor originally with very cold feet and was subsequently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. The coincidence in time of this diagnosis and the developing pains led me to research the issue myself and I have come to believe that it is neuropathy.

My latest blood sugar reading was 6.2, in the morning before food. I am taking 4 metformin a day and one statin for high cholesterol. I am not remotely overweight and eat very healthily and diabetes-friendly.

Thanks again for your reply.

P.S What's an HPC?
HCP = Health Care Professional usually means the practice nurse or similar but not the doctor.

HCP - Health Care Professional (Dr, Nurse, physiotherapist, radiologist etc ......)

Footcare - the nurse at my GP surgery can refer people with diabetes for NHS Podiatry services, but there are two levels where I live - ordinary podiatry services for people whether they have diabetes or not, then the one for the 'At Risk' foot - so do try and get access to the right service for your feet.

Thank you, seems I have a lot to learn! I shall speak to my 'HCP' about the 'At Risk' referral.

Hi,
Thanks
Nick

My sympathies.

Before my T2 diagnosis I had osteoarthritis in my thumbs / hands. Allegedly from my addiction to my phone?

Later I developed numbness in my toes and fingers and currently have symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome in one hand. Peripheral neuropathy - I need to wear a wrist support to keep the worst of it at bay.

From what I’ve read ‘peripheral neuropathy’ is not reversible. And the mainstream consensus seems to be that you’re ‘stuck with it’

But, personally, I’ve found that in my own case, using wrist supports and keeping my Blood Glucose as low as possible has reduced the unpleasant feelings quite a bit - but not completely reversed them. Exercising my fingers and toes helps too as well as massage.

You always feel it more when you’re stressed as well. So - on the bright side - you may not be able to undo the damage completely - but there are plenty of ways to make it less important.

If the ‘antidepressant’ is a low dose of ‘amitriptyline’ ’ - in the past it’s helped me - don’t be put off by the label, I believe it’s used for several other conditions as well as depression. Including treating temporary ‘bed wetting’ in kids.

HCP = Health Care Professional usually means the practice nurse or similar but not the doctor.
Not correct, as @trophywench says anyone who is caring for the individual,
the GP is usually the person who refers a patient for further tests.

My sympathies.

Before my T2 diagnosis I had osteoarthritis in my thumbs / hands. Allegedly from my addiction to my phone?

Later I developed numbness in my toes and fingers and currently have symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome in one hand. Peripheral neuropathy - I need to wear a wrist support to keep the worst of it at bay.

From what I’ve read ‘peripheral neuropathy’ is not reversible. And the mainstream consensus seems to be that you’re ‘stuck with it’

But, personally, I’ve found that in my own case, using wrist supports and keeping my Blood Glucose as low as possible has reduced the unpleasant feelings quite a bit - but not completely reversed them. Exercising my fingers and toes helps too as well as massage.

You always feel it more when you’re stressed as well. So - on the bright side - you may not be able to undo the damage completely - but there are plenty of ways to make it less important.

If the ‘antidepressant’ is a low dose of ‘amitriptyline’ ’ - in the past it’s helped me - don’t be put off by the label, I believe it’s used for several other conditions as well as depression. Including treating temporary ‘bed wetting’ in kids.
Sorry @AnnSebastian you are not correct too, DPN is absolutely curable if caught at the early stage.
Nerves are damaged but with the proper care and blood control this condition can be cured, not for
everyone but most who feel they have Neuropathy in the early stages can recover with medical advice.

This is a topic I have done extensive research because I am one of the few who has to deal with
Neuropathy 24/7 and pain is something I have to accept but medication helps reduce the pain but
not enough to to be pain free.

Ted xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back