peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage) treatment and medication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theeicebear

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, it's been a while since I posted. But I'd like some advice.

Long story short, I got real proper Covid Omicron and nearly died. I lost 3 and half stone in 2 weeks. I got out of bed on the 8th of March. So I'm still not 100%, got some memory problems and balance problems. But I have been working hard and exercising loads. Last bike ride I clocked in 6 miles.

I also had the DTs (delirium tremens, severe alcohol withdrawal), which I was unaware of but explains why I was throwing up 10 days a day for 2 weeks. Anyways...

I started back on my medication (as I had missed it quite often over the last 3 years) and it made me almost instantly sick. I know I need a review of my medication.

But the duloxetine and amitriptyline don't work, and put me in bed. They have almost the same side-effects. Whenever the doctor says "only 5-10% of people will experience these side-effects), it is always me that does.

What are you guys doing or taking for nerve damage? I'm covered in it, as my doctor diagnosed me 10 years too late (that's another story and another post).

Thanks in advance! 🙂

The only thing I know for type 2 which has no bad side effects is a low carb diet which is what has got me back into normal numbers.
When I was checked the first time I had background retinopathy but at the second test it had gone.

Well, no amount of diet or exercise is going to change the state of my nerve damage. Sadly. But I am doing loads of exercise and cutting down on carbs anyways. So my diabetes will benefit greatly from that.

It was more on the nerve damage side of things. Without the 2 offending medications, it's not too bad to manage pain wise.

Good to see you posting again @theeicebear

But it sounds like you have really been through the mill over recent months 😱 :(

Yes there aren’t always simple solutions to everyone’s experience of diabetes, and the most important thing is to find your own way through the particular challenges that you face.

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the meds you have been offered.

Do I remember that gabapentin or pregabalin are sometimes offered for neuropathic pain relief?

Have you checked the NICE guidance for evidence-based recommendations which might help?

Last edited:
gabapentin stopped working. was prescribed that originally.

How annoying for you. Certainly seems like you are backed into a corner with it :(

Have you tried the capsaicin cream

TENS machines also seem to help some members here

Well, @theeicebear that neuropathy may well not be due to diabetes. If you were drinking alcohol sufficient to give you symptoms of withdrawal like DTs, the you were certainly drinking enough to give you alcoholic peripheral neuropathy. It's caused by the direct toxic effects of alcohol on the nerve cell walls, or more accurately it's metabolites like acetaldehyde, and possibly thiamine deficiency (that's Vit B1). You may not know that there is no reliable treatment, other than complete abstinence from alcohol, and possibly Vit B of all types supplements.. It's not a common syndrome, but it is a well known problem in the treatment of alcohol dependence. If you have problems like hypertension, or postural hypotension ( like when you stand up quickly and feel light headed) then it makes it more likely that it is alcohol, not diabetes. And if you have problems fastening buttons, that again makes it more likely.

One thing I would advise to try is CBD oil in high doses. Many people with other types of neuropathy, such as in MS or in my PLS get relief from the effects of that neuropathy. No side effects. I agree with @everydayupsanddowns about trying TENS machines, and again, no side effects.

Well, @theeicebear that neuropathy may well not be due to diabetes. If you were drinking alcohol sufficient to give you symptoms of withdrawal like DTs, the you were certainly drinking enough to give you alcoholic peripheral neuropathy. It's caused by the direct toxic effects of alcohol on the nerve cell walls, or more accurately it's metabolites like acetaldehyde, and possibly thiamine deficiency (that's Vit B1). You may not know that there is no reliable treatment, other than complete abstinence from alcohol, and possibly Vit B of all types supplements.. It's not a common syndrome, but it is a well known problem in the treatment of alcohol dependence. If you have problems like hypertension, or postural hypotension ( like when you stand up quickly and feel light headed) then it makes it more likely that it is alcohol, not diabetes. And if you have problems fastening buttons, that again makes it more likely.

One thing I would advise to try is CBD oil in high doses. Many people with other types of neuropathy, such as in MS or in my PLS get relief from the effects of that neuropathy. No side effects. I agree with @everydayupsanddowns about trying TENS machines, and again, no side effects.
I had peripheral neuropathy before the drinking. I don't drink at all now. But, I can imagine that drinking didnt help PN. Which vitamin B supplements would you recommend?

I'll try the CBD oil and a TENS machine, thank for the advice. I'll see how they go.

Just the standard Vit B complex tabs you can get at the pharmacy are your best bet. No guarantees that will work to reduce the effect of alcohol generally, and help your liver. Along with skin, the liver is the only organ that can repair itself.

Get your CBD oil from a reputable company. I use Healthspan 900mg capsules twice a day, but they are expensive, around £50 for a pack of 60. I have a subscription which makes them cheaper, but don’t take out a subscription until you notice the benefit. When they do work, it can feel like a miracle. Some folks don’t get any benefit, but I’d be surprised if you didn’t feel some benefit. The TENS machine should be under £30 but make sure it is a dual channel machine. In my experience in arthritic pain (I’m a 69 year old wreck) the Med-Fit 3 Digital is the best, and has the best guide in application of the pads for specific areas.

Hope this advice helps you, peripheral neuropathy is a swine whatever the cause. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back