peripheral neuropathy and B12 deficiency ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jezsuttonuk

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My PN has been getting worse over the past few weeks and I am pretty sure it is because of my slacking on my diet... I read around that the stabbing at night in your feet could be due to vit B12 deficiency so will nip to H&B tomorrow.. anyone got any history with this ?
Else I will have to be stricter with my takeaways and chocolate 🙂 !!

Hi.
I am afraid that being stricter with your takeaways and chocolate is a key part of good diabetes management (not sure if this was typed tongue in cheek) but medication alone will not hack it. Do you test your BG levels at home and if so, what sort of readings are you getting. If you are suffering neuropathy, I would be concerned that my levels were not well managed and be looking to rectify that.

Are you taking Metformin and have you been taking it long term? If so, you may be wasting your money going to H&B because the Metformin can inhibit your body from absorbing B12 either from food or indeed oral supplements and B12 injections are often needed if you are deficient. B12 deficiency can certainly cause nerve pain/tingling pins and needles, maybe even cramps. You should discuss the problem with your GP and see if they will test your levels of B12. It is a relatively simple test I believe. Good luck getting it sorted and please don't ignore the issue. Your feet are far too valuable to risk losing them.

My PN has been getting worse over the past few weeks and I am pretty sure it is because of my slacking on my diet... I read around that the stabbing at night in your feet could be due to vit B12 deficiency so will nip to H&B tomorrow.. anyone got any history with this ?
Else I will have to be stricter with my takeaways and chocolate 🙂 !!

There are a few supplements that might help neuropathy, but that would be in addition to staying in range as much as possible. How are your blood sugars?

There are a few supplements that might help neuropathy, but that would be in addition to staying in range as much as possible. How are your blood sugars?
normally around 6-9 before meals.

Hi.
I am afraid that being stricter with your takeaways and chocolate is a key part of good diabetes management (not sure if this was typed tongue in cheek) but medication alone will not hack it. Do you test your BG levels at home and if so, what sort of readings are you getting. If you are suffering neuropathy, I would be concerned that my levels were not well managed and be looking to rectify that.

Are you taking Metformin and have you been taking it long term? If so, you may be wasting your money going to H&B because the Metformin can inhibit your body from absorbing B12 either from food or indeed oral supplements and B12 injections are often needed if you are deficient. B12 deficiency can certainly cause nerve pain/tingling pins and needles, maybe even cramps. You should discuss the problem with your GP and see if they will test your levels of B12. It is a relatively simple test I believe. Good luck getting it sorted and please don't ignore the issue. Your feet are far too valuable to risk losing them.
Thanks for your reply, yes the choc and takeaways was a bit tongue in cheek. it took me a month to eat my one Easter Egg.. yes on 1g Met twice a day.. since posting the original q. I have been taking the B12 supplements and the tingling has calmed down in my feet... hands still a bit stiff and tingly but not much.. normal readings are between 6-9 before meals..

You would be better aiming at lower than that 4-7mmol/l before meals and no more than 8-8.5 2 hours after meals. That might help.
thanks for your reply, if i get below 5mmol/l I get cold sweats and shakes.. i guess it's my body saying " not been here before" lol.. I'm sure it will get easier..

Thanks for your reply, yes the choc and takeaways was a bit tongue in cheek. it took me a month to eat my one Easter Egg.. yes on 1g Met twice a day.. since posting the original q. I have been taking the B12 supplements and the tingling has calmed down in my feet... hands still a bit stiff and tingly but not much.. normal readings are between 6-9 before meals..
Metformin can affect how you absorb B12 from foods and it would be the same with oral supplements so you may need B12 injections if your B12 is low.

thanks for your reply, if i get below 5mmol/l I get cold sweats and shakes.. i guess it's my body saying " not been here before" lol.. I'm sure it will get easier..
I have just noticed you are on quite a cocktail for meds so it would be worth checking with your diabetic nurse what levels you should be aiming at.

I recently had a text message from my GP surgery telling me to book a blood test for B12 levels due to the Metformin, but I believe the risk is generally greater at doses => 1500mg a day. Might be worth getting a test to find out. I'd talk to your surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back