Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) (Update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryP

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Everyone

I just wanted to bring you a PAD update. I have mentioned in previous post that the back of my calves are absolute murder with cramps and pain (particularly in the evenings and at night in bed). It had got so bad that I have been having to get up about 4 times during the night to apply ‘Deep Heat’ to both legs and have been needing to use ‘Foot Warmers’ in my shoes to stop the cold in my feet. Anyway, I went into hospital for a Balloon Angioplasty yesterday (they ended up doing the iliac femoral artery in both legs (100% blocked) and WOW no more pain or discomfort. My BG is shot to pieces as I have not been allowed to take Metformin for a 72-hour period, but hopefully I can get that back down once we get to Friday. So what’s the learning from this……for me it’s that if you are having cramps in the back of your calves don’t just put it down to ‘diabetes’ as there may be a solution which means you could avoid the 20 or so years of miserable evenings and sleepless nights. I’m sore, and black and blue from the bruising, but it is well worth it in comparison. Plus Deep Heat and Foot Warmers are getting really expensive. 🙄

So pleased to read that you have some relief from the pain and discomfort and hope it continues to remain that way for you.

Amazing what they can do now, great that your procedure has had positive results & good message to those who suffer from same.

I have also got PAD which causes me to have severe cold legs and feet. I was told that there are many uses of statins one of which greatly benefits PAD. I have always had very good cholesterol so don’t need statins for that my good cholesterol is 3.3 and my bad is 0.3. My PAD has nothing to do with my diabetes but the nurse prescribed statins Simvastatin 20mg to take before bedtime as apparently it has been proved this greatly helps with PAD. Hope this us helpful. I have an enlarged heart, a murmur and aortic stenosis this means my arteries are not carrying the blood as they should, again this is nothing to do with being diabetic!

This afternoon, I have been a subject in a research study, looking at developing a "best practise" framework for diagnosing PAD, in those living with diabetes (irrespective of type, or status).

After what seemed like a gazillion BP measurements from arms, calves and big toes, along with Doppler readings, I go back within 6 weeks for an MRI, just looking at my lower legs.

Thus far, there no signs I have PAD. I am well in the "normal" ranges.

All very interesting.

This afternoon, I have been a subject in a research study, looking at developing a "best practise" framework for diagnosing PAD, in those living with diabetes (irrespective of type, or status).

After what seemed like a gazillion BP measurements from arms, calves and big toes, along with Doppler readings, I go back within 6 weeks for an MRI, just looking at my lower legs.

All very interesting.
Thank you AndBreathe for taking part in the research study, I'm keeping my 'warm toes' crossed that your ranges stay normal 🙂

Thank you AndBreathe for taking part in the research study, I'm keeping my 'warm toes' crossed that your ranges stay normal 🙂

Thank you. It's only through research that things change, and improve, so ti is one of my passions. Without some of these curious people, we'd be a lot worse off.

Great result for you on your PAD. Long may that continue.

All very interesting.
well done, long may it continue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back