Peppermint Tea to lower BG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny65

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My lovely friendly shopkeeper at my local shop, the one that commented on how I will lose loads of weight now I am diabetic (and I already had lost 3 stone at the time so was a bit miffed but she is generally lovely so I forgive her) She told me to drink peppermint tea as she said she drinks it all day and her BG is low as a result, has anyone else heard of this? Might give it a try.

This is what google says

Some studies show that peppermint may lower your blood sugar and blood pressure as well, so it's not recommended for people taking medication for diabetes or blood pressure issues. Peppermint may help to promote good kidney function, but it's not recommended for people who have kidney stones

I drink herbal tea every day and often drink peppermint. I especially like fresh mint tea which is great in the summer when it runs riot in the container I try to keep it in.
However, it has no affect on my blood sugars beyond keeping me hydrated.

I drink herbal tea every day and often drink peppermint. I especially like fresh mint tea which is great in the summer when it runs riot in the container I try to keep it in.
However, it has no affect on my blood sugars beyond keeping me hydrated.
Thats a shame, I had better stick with the red wine which has proven to lower mine 🙂

I got into mint tea in Morocco, I just grab a handful of mint from the garden now and pour boiling water over it.

Mint doesn't like my garden - I have tried it quite a few times but it is attacked by a fungus and eventually keels over. Having got back my sense of smell and taste after Covid I bought some green gunpowder menthos, and that is nice. It seems to help when bunged up with a cold and is warming on dismal foggy afternoons.

Every time I hear of these “this thing helps lower BG” things (cinnamon, turmeric, okra, bitter melon, ACV and now peppermint tea) my heart always sinks a little.

If the effect was strong enough, and the effect significant enough you can absolutely guarantee Pharma would have isolated the compound, purified it, concentrated it, and made it into a tablet!

I’m a vampire, and go out at night sucking the blood of people who’ve been to those dessert parlours. Their insulin keeps my glucose down!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back