People without Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebstar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Can someone tell me what the blood glucose levels of someone without diabetes would be. For example in the morning before breakfast. Also I'm confused at what a spike means - doesn't all food raise your blood sugar? If your bs comes down to under 7 after 2 hours is that ok? This whole diabetes thing has me confused. I'm fairly new to all this and hope some day I will be able to answer some of the questions on this board rather than to all the asking:confused:

hi seb i cant really say what a non diabetics levels should be my o/h wanted me to prick him just out of curiosity and he was 5.2 and that was that , I think every persons who is none diabetic will have diffirent levels aint to sure on it tho ,

going under 7 is good we aim to be between 4 to 7mmol/l before meals
less than 10mmol/l 90 minutes after a meal
around 8mmol/l at bedtime.

Last edited:
Non-diabetic range is between 4-6 mmol/l or thereabouts. When you have a fully functioning pancreas, the body is able to fine tune the quantities of insulin and glucagon to release to keep levels as close to this range as possible. In diabetics, the adminitration of insulin, or the effects of insulin resistance in Type 2, can mean that some foods will release glucose too quickly for the insulin to match the rise so you get a 'spike'. The solution is to try and eat foods that release glucose slowly i.e. low GI. Diabetics are given a slightly wider fasting range to aim for - generally between 4-7 mmol/l.

Getting it to below 7 after 2 hours is good, although probably quite difficult unless you are very strict with your diet. It's still important to avod the spikes though as there is some suggestion that this might actually be worse for you than a steady, but higher level generally.

Hope this helps!🙂

Last edited:
From the patient information leaflet for One Touch Ultra Test Strips:

Expected Levels for People Without Diabetes*

Before breakfast 3.9 - 5.8mmol/L
Before lunch or dinner 3.9 - 6.3 mmol/L
1 hour after meal <8.9 mmol/L
2 hours after meal <6.7 mmol/L
Between 2 and 4 am >3.9 mmol/L

* Krall, L.P., and Beaser, R.S. Joslin Diabetes Manual. Philidelphia: Lea and Febiger (1989), 138

* Krall, L.P., and Beaser, R.S. Joslin Diabetes Manual. Philidelphia: Lea and Febiger (1989), 138

I really miss my pancreas sometimes, non-diabetics just don't realise how wonderful they are (as I didn't just over a year ago)

I really miss my pancreas sometimes, non-diabetics just don't realise how wonderful they are (as I didn't just over a year ago)

Amen to that bro!

ty for that alan i have found that very helpful

cheers x

:(:(:( seconded , this is so true , I didnt even give mine a second thought until it packed up on me ! 😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back