Pensioner seconds away from causing cycle race crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A PASSING pensioner was a bit too close to comfort for top cyclists on Friday when he crossed the road on a mobility scooter just moments before a high speed race passed.

Stage three of the Women's Tour of Britain was travelling through parts of Tendring to finish in Clacton.

But as the top riders came to a tight bend near the Three Jays pub in Jaywick there was more than just the corner to navigate.

A pensioner on a mobility scooter watched as the lead cyclist zoomed past, but decided to try and get across the road before the pack of riders following.

http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/...away_from_causing_cycle_race_crash/?ref=var_0

Reminds me of when a woman casually walked across the road in Sheffield during the Milk Race after the top riders had passed - but the peleton were just behind. Everyone was screaming at her to get out of the way - she only just managed it 😱

Where the hell were the stewards? 😱

poor chap obviously didn't realise what was happening .....as you say where were the stewards ?someone should have been there to assist him.

I'd say it's impossible to have stewards monitoring the entire length of the route. It happens all the time in road running races, with people wandering across oblivious - just watch some footage of the last mile of the Great North Run and you'll see loads of them doing it!

Having marshalled on several road running races, triathlons, adventure races etc, I can comment with some knowledge. Basically, it depends on whether the road is legally closed to other users. If that's the case, then usually, fence barriers are placed, with marshal staffed crossing points. However, marshals, unlike security staff or Police, can advise only, but no right to prevent members of public from getting onto course, whether on foot, bike, mobility scooter or any other form of transport. Usually, marshals can advise members of the public can advise how long to wait before it will be safe to pass. Sometimes, getting the balance between safety of racers and public, while not annoying non spectating members of public is a difficult balancing act. I'm hoping for no problems during Tour de France this year, in sector where I'm volunteering, or anyone else's.

I hate the people who almost close the road to one bike width on the cols, I always think there will be more accidents than there are. And you can tell the peeps who do it are not either runners or bike racers - it's awful running with massive crowds either side, there's hardly any passage of fresh air in the middle and you get unbearably hot.

I mean you get pretty hot anyway LOL but your face can feel as if it's on fire on even a 'rather bracing' day otherwise!

I hate the people who almost close the road to one bike width on the cols, I always think there will be more accidents than there are. And you can tell the peeps who do it are not either runners or bike racers - it's awful running with massive crowds either side, there's hardly any passage of fresh air in the middle and you get unbearably hot.

I mean you get pretty hot anyway LOL but your face can feel as if it's on fire on even a 'rather bracing' day otherwise!

Must admit I was so shocked when I first saw that! 😱 Good grief, when you think what those cyclists have just done, to have to put up with that when you are close to exhaustion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back