Pen, meter and lancing device comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigeon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I just came across some interesting reports by the NHS purchasing and supply agency on this website:

http://www.pasa.nhs.uk/PASAWeb/NHSprocurement/CEP/CEPproducts/CEP+catalogue.htm

If you go to the "Buyers guides" there's comparisons of all insulin pens, pumps, meters and lancing devices - it's aimed at NHS professionals, but I thought it was quite handy to have a comparison of all available models in case anyone's thinking of changing equipment.

Thanks Pigeon, these are very interesting! I thought the meter report was particularly interesting, given the problems some people have getting strips, where it says estimated cost per year of 'event-free' care (using SMBG) is ?1166, but the cost of complications e.g. amputation is ?8500. Also, those with complications incur a four-fold increase in costs to social services.

There's little support for diet/exercise testing though, just quotes the NICE guidelines.

Thanks for the link. It is always good to have the information to make an informed choice with.

Splendid!

Once upon a time DUK used to have a comparison chart of meters on their website, clearly as it was of use to people it was removed, along with any other information!

The NHS works purely on this years budget and never into the future from what it seems. It's the same with DAFNE, I understand the cost for running the course is well under ?1,000 - used to be around ?500 but allowing for inflation and extra layers of NHS management that probably are now involved, however, considering the immediate return on investment by the probable reduction in insulin consumption per annum over two years I estimated the course had paid for itself. Over the remaining 30 plus years of life, it's a complete win-win situation.

And that is before we even begin to consider or add the cost of diabetes related complications. Which as Northerner pointed out is four times the cost of providing test strips per annum.

The sooner someone connects the whole of the NHS into one budget (primary care, secondary care, prevention, education and presriptions etc) then adds the social funding through non-management/monitoring the better. If they then add this in to a five, ten, fifteen and twenty year forecast of care then once they get past the fear of working two or more years in advance they and more importantly WE will be so much better off.

It's about time business peope were brought into managing the NHS rather than letting people work their way up management in an organisation and management structure that can only re-invent itself in ways it's already tried and has a new, very fresh look at the whole entity.

Into that hat you can also through alternative therapies, surely there are better ways to treat some conditions than cocktails of drugs that are used today?

Ah well, my CV's available if they want to chat :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back