Pei and type 3c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yammy190

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi, I was diagnosed with pancreatic insufficiency (FE -1 test) a couple of months ago. Ive had various tests now and nothing seems to be cropping up as a cause. Just wondering whether you guys can tell me how Type 3c is diagnosed (HbAc1 test normal - are there any other tests?) please cos I’ve noticed a hypo symptoms during exercise which seem to be getting worse. For example I managed a 2 hour walk a couple of days ago and started to feel shaky and thought I’d faint so I just sat on the floor for a bit. I usually carry a snack bar with me which always revives me but I forgot to pack one. Fortunately I was quite close to home on this occasion. Maybe I’m just a worried hypochondriac. Thanks for reading.

Hi, I was diagnosed with pancreatic insufficiency (FE -1 test) a couple of months ago. Ive had various tests now and nothing seems to be cropping up as a cause. Just wondering whether you guys can tell me how Type 3c is diagnosed (HbAc1 test normal - are there any other tests?) please cos I’ve noticed a hypo symptoms during exercise which seem to be getting worse. For example I managed a 2 hour walk a couple of days ago and started to feel shaky and thought I’d faint so I just sat on the floor for a bit. I usually carry a snack bar with me which always revives me but I forgot to pack one. Fortunately I was quite close to home on this occasion. Maybe I’m just a worried hypochondriac. Thanks for reading.
There is quite a bit on the condition in this link which might give you some idea of the potential cause. https://gutscharity.org.uk/

PEI is a completely different thing to 3c diabetes.
With PEI it just means your enzymes which digest food do not work hence you need Creon as a replacer so you can live a normal life once you have your Creon dose sorted.
I have PEI after 58 years on insulin. Scans were done which showed a cyst on the neck of my pancreas which is non malignant.
Depending on how long you were undiagnosed for would also depend on how malnourished, suffering from malnutrition over time would leave you feeling weak and exhausted until you have managed to replace all that you have lost.

Hi, I was diagnosed with pancreatic insufficiency (FE -1 test) a couple of months ago. Ive had various tests now and nothing seems to be cropping up as a cause.
As already said by @Pumper_Sue, PEI is an ailment in its own right and not necessarily a cause of any form of Diabetes.
Just wondering whether you guys can tell me how Type 3c is diagnosed (HbAc1 test normal - are there any other tests?) please
Type 3c is just one form of Diabetes and like all other forms, a diagnosis of Diabetes arises from elevated blood glucose. The HbA1c test provides a confirmation of elevated blood glucose, looking back over c.3 months. Since your HbA1c is normal you can be confident that you do not have Diabetes- any type.

People with damage to their pancreas can become diabetic and, when correctly diagnosed, be assigned as Type 3c, rather than Type 1 or 2. The type originates from the cause, not the subsequent treatment method. If that pancreatic damage results in reduced production of digestive enzymes [my pancreatic damage is extreme - I had a total pancreatectomy so I have no digestive enzymes] then PEI becomes significant and needs Pancreatic Enzyme Replacement Therapy (PERT) - frequently from medication such as Creon capsules. The Creon is helping my diabetes treatment, by ensuring that the food I eat is digested; then the carbs, proteins and fats from that digestion can get into my blood. Consequently I need insulin to facilitate the transfer of the blood glucose into the cells, muscles and organs. All of which allows me to continue living a (reasonably) normal life.
cos I’ve noticed a hypo symptoms during exercise which seem to be getting worse. For example I managed a 2 hour walk a couple of days ago and started to feel shaky and thought I’d faint so I just sat on the floor for a bit. I usually carry a snack bar with me which always revives me but I forgot to pack one. Fortunately I was quite close to home on this occasion. Maybe I’m just a worried hypochondriac. Thanks for reading.
I'm reluctant to agree that you are just a worried hypochondriac. If you really do have hypo symptoms then you need to go back to your GP for further investigation. Diabetes has been ruled out of the diagnosis, from your normal HbA1c result. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back