PCOS: This woman was told to lose weight by doctors - but something else was going on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
To Deborah E. Savage, a trip to the doctor was frequently an exercise in humiliation.

For more than 15 years, Savage's doctors doled out the same advice: You need to stop gaining weight. When Savage replied that she had tried watching her diet and exercising, only to pack on more pounds, it was clear they simply didn't believe her. Her family was equally skeptical.

"I would eat like my sister, and I would gain weight but she wouldn't," recalled Savage, a civil engineer who lives in Montgomery County and turns 31 next month.

Savage's inexorable weight gain, which began in middle school and resulted in obesity, was not her only problem: For years, she also struggled with eruptions of painful acne and facial hair. "These things made me feel ugly," she said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...but-something-else-was-going-on-a7033141.html

What's incredibly worrying is that a doctor/s didn't recognise the textbook symptoms!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back