Payment exempt prescriptions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost Hunter

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I am due to renew my certificate for Tax Credit exemption prescriptions and have recently read on here somewhere that if I have diabetes I should receive free medication anyway? I have T2 and am on Metformin SL tablets. Do I qualify still and how do I apply? Obviously hubby will need the general Tax Credit exemption so will have to renew anyway.
:confused:
Thanks

If you are on medication for the diabetes you are exempt from prescription charges. The form is available from your doctor, it might pay you to talk to the receptionist or the nurse.

I think there may be more information elsewhere but not sure where.

Medical Exemption Certificates are issued on application to people who have:

* A permanent fistula (for example caecostomy, colostomy, laryngostomy or ileostomy) requiring continuous surgical dressing or requiring an appliance
* A form of hypoadrenalism (for example Addison's disease) for which specific substitution therapy is essential
* Diabetes insipidus or other forms of hypopituitarism
* Diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone
* Hypoparathyroidism
* Myasthenia gravis
* Myxoedema (that is, hypothyroidism requiring thyroid hormone replacement)
* Epilepsy requiring continuous anticonvulsive therapy
* A continuing physical disability which means the person cannot go out without the help of another person. Temporary disabilities do not count even if they last for several months

Or are undergoing treatment for cancer:

* including the effects of cancer; or
* the effects of current or previous cancer treatment

If a person has one of the above medical conditions and needs to obtain a Medical Exemption Certificate, then s/he should get application form FP92A, available from doctor's surgeries. The patient has to complete parts 1 and 2 then get his/her doctor (or an authorised member of the practice staff) to sign to confirm the information given.

The completed application forms should be sent to: Prescription Pricing Authority, Patient Services, Medical Exemption Office, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 1ZL

The Medical Exemption Office aim to process applications within 21 days of receiving the application. A Medical Exemption Certificate will be sent to the patient and is valid for five years.

I GOT FORM FROM GPS filled it in went back gp signed it and 4 weeks alter had my card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back