paying for test strips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I went to the chemist today with my prescription to pick up some more test strips and woman behind the counter asked me if i had a medical exempt certificate (i haven't) and she was surprised that i have to pay for my test strips. I explained that i was D/E controlled and that you only get them free if you are on medication or insulin - am i right?

Well that's what I have been told as well. I pay for my strips. However it does appear to vary depending on your GP. A friends husband also D & E controlled who lives 2 miles from me has his strips on prescription. Ironically he does not test, he has a what will be, will be attitude 😱😱 and has on occasion given me his strips!

On D & E you can get your test strips on prescription but you will have to pay the prescription charge ?7.20. You can get a pre-payment certificate for 6 and 12 months can't remember how much they cost. If you go on to medication for your diabetes then you can apply for a medical exemption card.

On D & E you can get your test strips on prescription but you will have to pay the prescription charge ?7.20. You can get a pre-payment certificate for 6 and 12 months can't remember how much they cost. If you go on to medication for your diabetes then you can apply for a medical exemption card.

Perhaps as I live in Wales where there are currently no charges for prescriptions circumstances are different. But I have been told categorically by my GP I am not allowed strips, the reason being they are not needed for a type 2 not on medication. Despite my best arguments about the benefits of testing etc she will not budge on this decision. She has even written it right across my records in case I try another GP in the practice!

Perhaps as I live in Wales where there are currently no charges for prescriptions circumstances are different. But I have been told categorically by my GP I am not allowed strips, the reason being they are not needed for a type 2 not on medication. Despite my best arguments about the benefits of testing etc she will not budge on this decision. She has even written it right across my records in case I try another GP in the practice!

I think it depends on your GP lynda as to whether they will prescribe test strips, before I went on medication my GP had no hesitation in prescribing test strips, I then moved and changed GP and never had a problem with prescribing test strips.

one way other T2 have resolved the strips problem is to show how you are using the testing to improve the control ....for me fruit sends me high ...bread has to be limited but noodles and basmatic rice dont seem to cause me much of a problem ...at the moment i have been able to reduce my tests and need a pot maybe 1x month cos im trying to see how i can lower my waking bs ....was 7.2 now down to 6.9 i told my dsn this and she's happy ...but it seems like a postcode lottery

soz carina ...this is your thread re costs ...if you have a prescription you'll only pay the prescription costs ?7.20 if you are on meds you get all you scripts free and not just those for diabetes meds

Yes, you can get a medical exemption if you have diabetes (type 1 or 2) that isn't controlled by diet and exercise alone. That means you can get whatever your doctor prescribes for you for free. Unfortunately, although i'be got the certificate, i can't persuade my local PCT to let my GP prescribe strips to i still have to pay for them. I'd have thought the counter assistant at your local pharmacy should know that, unless he or she is very new to the job.

John's absolutely right - D&E control means you have to pay. That said, the pharmacy assistants always try to give them to me for free and I have to explain the rules to them.

Personally I think we should all get test strips free of charge as we all need to keep a check on what is happening.

?7.20 for a prescription is still cheaper than paying for the full price of the test strips, but that is little consolation when you know others can get them for free.

I went to the chemist today with my prescription to pick up some more test strips and woman behind the counter asked me if i had a medical exempt certificate (i haven't) and she was surprised that i have to pay for my test strips. I explained that i was D/E controlled and that you only get them free if you are on medication or insulin - am i right?

Carina, here is something I posted some time ago regarding Medical Exemption Certificates.
Just in case you are put on medication sometime in the future you may find it useful.

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts/1126.aspx

The above link will take you to the NHS Business Services web site which contains information about medical exemption certificates, which form to ask for and how to apply.

The Medical Exemption Certificates are valid for 5 years and you will receive a reminder about a month before it is due to expire so that you can send for a replacement.

You may also be able to claim a refund on any prescriptions that you have paid for since you were diagnosed and before receipt of the Medical Exemption Certificate if you fill in form FP57.

Hope this helps.

How much do people pay for strips? - I'm on insulin so I don't, but I got caught somewhere without any once and had to buy some otc - for ?25.00 a box of 50. Was shocked - is this normal?

How much do people pay for strips? - I'm on insulin so I don't, but I got caught somewhere without any once and had to buy some otc - for ?25.00 a box of 50. Was shocked - is this normal?

That's what mine cost (for a bog standard Bayer Contour).

Andy

Yes That about it some places are dearer and some are cheaper but ?25 is average.

Or about ?13 on e-bay - but, of course, there's conscience issues there.

Yep, I had to pay ?26 in Asda for a box of 50 Contour test strips the other week, I'd gone away and accidentally left them all at home on the kitchen table. D'OH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back