Patients turning away from GPs using 0845 numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
THE NHS is urging GP surgeries across the region to turn their backs on contracts that see patients facing telephone charges of up to 41p per minute.

Many surgeries require patients to call expensive 0844 or 0845 numbers to book an appointment, receive advice or get test results.

It is feared the situation could be causing people to avoid contacting their GP, meaning vulnerable people could be left at risk.

Government guidelines required GP practices to review their existing arrangements by April 2011 - but two years on many surgeries are still using the 08 numbers ? including several in the North-East.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/10603960.Patients_turning_away_from_GPs_using_0845_numbers/

Its a good job my practice uses normal numbers as you can be on hold for 15 mins + some days.

You can often get a normal geographical number using a website called saynoto0870. Also, a lot of GPs websites give alternative numbers on their websites. I know this because I spent 5 days a week for 3 months calling GP practices!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back