Patients to be put in charge..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Did anyone else get this emal today and if so wat are your opinions?

According to recent BBC news, patients (including people with diabetes) will be put in charge of their own medical records online. The proposed shake up will bring the ?information revolution? into the heart of the National Health Service.

The report indicates that by 2013/14, patients will be able to log on to keep clear track of their treatment, and also make informed choices about their care..

I didn't get it as an email but have seen it somewhere. It would be good if I could see my medical records and make better choices because of it. May also be a wake up call for my twit of a doctor too.

Sorry cannot see it happening. Large IT projects in the public sector are always late, always over budget, etc! Just look at the current issues with Patient Records and past issues like the CSA, ID cards, etc., etc!

Until they take IT security seriously, I hope it won't happen. ALthough it would be nice, as copepod says, to gain easy access to the notes. It's just the other few million people who may gain access that bothers me.

Rob

Addedndum: Caroline said it, not copepod ! 😱

Apologies to both. 🙂 🙄

Rob

I believe that this is the report that Steffie's email is referring to www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11566123
It includes a link to this official overview of the consultation criteria which includes the option to share your thoughts on it.

I am not completely sure that it is suggesting access to your full medical records, and instead it might just be sufficient information to allow you to "choose" your service providers and some aspects of your care.

Hmm I have got strong doubts about providing access to medical records, in addition to the already mentioned security and large IT project delivery concerns I expect it might influence too much what a doctor would write in the records if they knew you would immediately have access to it.
How many of us would also be circumspect enough to make informed contribution to the decisions about our healthcare? I expect many people on this forum would be but it is in the interest of diabetics to learn to take responsibility for themselves, this is one of the benefits of this forum! 😉 For people without a similar condition I doubt this is the case whilst are those people who tend to diagnose themselves via google really helping the system function better?

That said I do find it very frustrating that when I attend an hospital appointment the consultants are still reliant on the paper copy of my medical records being in front of them despite the PC on their desk, which often has had to be switched on whenever it has been used with me in the room! My GP on the other hand is very good at using his PC but he has in the past complained to me that he would rather spend more time in the appointment focusing on the patient rather than getting the computer to do what he wants from it. :(😎

I don't mind being mixed up with Copepod, she is an intelligent lady!

Thanks, but perhaps I'm a bit more sceptical about government IT projects and IT security in general! 😱

Hello,

I'm already signed up to join "My Diabetes, My Way" when it eventually launches (it's already late!)

They are supposed to be giving access to your diabetes notes and test results.

NiVZ

Hello,

I'm already signed up to join "My Diabetes, My Way" when it eventually launches (it's already late!)

They are supposed to be giving access to your diabetes notes and test results.

NiVZ

Yep NiVZ, I am signed up to that as well, but after the last e-mail I wont be holding my breath 🙄)...

Had an email today from Dundee hospital who are leading the roll-out in Scotland, it's on trial with 2 patients at present and if all goes well should be rolled out to those that applied shortly. Greater Glasgow & Clyde, Highland, Grampian or Lanarkshire are having to wait for NHS approval.

Did anyone else get this emal today and if so wat are your opinions?

According to recent BBC news, patients (including people with diabetes) will be put in charge of their own medical records online. The proposed shake up will bring the ?information revolution? into the heart of the National Health Service.

The report indicates that by 2013/14, patients will be able to log on to keep clear track of their treatment, and also make informed choices about their care..
i expect it will be only for adults not for children

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back