Patients at risk over failure to recognize important diabetes subtype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The health of people with diabetes is being put at risk due to the failure of doctors to recognise which type of diabetes they have, a new study in the journal Diabetes Care reports.

In the first ever study of its kind, researchers from the University of Surrey, examined the primary care records of more than 2 million people, assessing the frequency of different types of diabetes and the accuracy of diagnosis. Particular focus was given to those who developed Type 3c diabetes. Type 3c diabetes occurs as a result of pancreatic inflammation, abnormal growth of tissue on the organ or surgically removing part or all of the tissue, which affects the body's ability to produce insulin.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/10/171023123751.htm

I'm sure we've had people joining this forum saying, 'I've had my pancreas removed and I've been told I'm now type 2.'

Last edited:
Im sure we've had people joining this forum saying, 'I've had my pancreas removed and I've been told I'm now type 2.'
Your right, I’ve seen the same.

That's not good is it? :(

I'd like to know how many people are getting a misdiagnosis of Type 2 when, like many here, it's slow-onset Type 1

There have been at least a couple of people on here initially diagnosed T1 as adults to then come off insulin and re-diagnosed T2. Some are also diagnosed T1 and therefore put on insulin but also with metformin straight away. I can't understand that. o_O Adult diagnoses do not appear to be straightforward. C-peptide is the obvious test if there's any doubt..

There have been at least a couple of people on here initially diagnosed T1 as adults to then come off insulin and re-diagnosed T2. Some are also diagnosed T1 and therefore put on insulin but also with metformin straight away. I can't understand that. o_O Adult diagnoses do not appear to be straightforward. C-peptide is the obvious test if there's any doubt..
Many people seem to have difficulty in getting a C peptide test.

I don't believe the c-peptide test is conclusive. I had it and came down smack in the middle which according to my consultant meant that it seemed I had some insulin resistance. He said if I had not had the problems with my liver, he would have probably put me on metformin as well as the insulin.
He thinks I am 'probably' T1 although the DSNs are 100% sure I am T1, and as far as I know that is what is on my records.

DUK don’t help. In Balance magazine, the comedian Norman Smith has a column. He had severe acute pancreatitis due to booze, with very little pancreas left working. He is on insulin, of course. He self describes himself as Type 2. Presumably, this is to contrast with the other celebrity columnist Marie Wilson, who is a proper Type 1.

In fact, pancreatic diabetes gets barely a mention in Balance. It doesn’t half bugger up your control when your pancreas gives up the exocrine output. As I’ve said before, I’m a reverse engineered 3c.

Aye, senior moment, sorry. Point is still valid, though.🙂 Norman Smith (otherwise known as Hurricane) was Pink Floyd’s record producer in the early days

Last edited:
I'm sure Hurricane Smith is dead.

Instead of spending money on daft research it might be a good idea to do some on this ?

As I've said before - If DUK would acknowledge type 3 exists it would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back