Patient Transport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrvineHimself

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have been offered a consultation for my cataracts at the Eye Clinic in Clydebank. Since I am in Edinburgh, that is about 60 miles away and my support worker would be unable to spend an entire day chaperoning me. Noting I qualify for attendance allowance and have no family to help with transport, would I qualify for the Scottish Patient Transport Scheme?

Any other ideas on how I can get back and forward to the Eye-Clinic would also be wrlcome. Remember, not only will I have problems with the muscle relaxant for the initial exam, but I will also be having outpatient surgery for the cataracs.

I have been offered a consultation for my cataracts at the Eye Clinic in Clydebank. Since I am in Edinburgh, that is about 60 miles away and my support worker would be unable to spend an entire day chaperoning me. Noting I qualify for attendance allowance and have no family to help with transport, would I qualify for the Scottish Patient Transport Scheme?

Any other ideas on how I can get back and forward to the Eye-Clinic would also be wrlcome. Remember, not only will I have problems with the muscle relaxant for the initial exam, but I will also be having outpatient surgery for the cataracs.
I think you probably would, check out the website for Scottish Ambulance service patient transport. You may have to book quite a way ahead of time.
There may also be volunteer services available but you may have to contribute petrol money.

Looks like British Red Cross can also help if you can't get an ambulance. Great news if you can get your cataracts fixed! My partner had his done and he is really impressed by the difference in his eyesight!

Thaks guys, I will check those out. Apparently, I can't enquire about the main NHS transport service until 10 days before the appointment, which I think is kinda nuts!

Are you sure you’ll be allowed home alone after cataract surgery? Most procedures need you to have someone stay with you for 24hrs afterwards and that person would accompany you home

Are you sure you’ll be allowed home alone after cataract surgery?
No, I am not. It is one of the many things I am trying to navigate, and the main reason I am looking for advice.

Could you believe I actually had the nerve to ask the care/retirement coordinator about it, (scandalous!) She shuddered before stoutly replying: "Not my job, not my responsibility!".

One day, when I am very brave, I will ask her what exactly her job is? ...... But not today.

No, I am not. It is one of the many things I am trying to navigate, and the main reason I am looking for advice.

Could you believe I actually had the nerve to ask the care/retirement coordinator about it, (scandalous!) She shuddered before stoutly replying: "Not my job, not my responsibility!".

One day, when I am very brave, I will ask her what exactly her job is? ...... But not today.
A transport service wouldn’t stay with you for 24hrs afterwards, so you probably need to focus on finding someone to do this before the transport. Since depending who you find to stay with for the 24hrs, they may be able to accompany you on public transport or drive you there.

Are you sure you’ll be allowed home alone after cataract surgery? Most procedures need you to have someone stay with you for 24hrs afterwards and that person would accompany you home
No it's fine after cataract surgery 🙂 It's done via local anaesthetic unless you have a sedative as well then have to admit I told a porkie and said my neighbour was staying with me 🙂
Age concern sometimes have schemes for transport as do some other local patient transport charities. If you have any income related benefits in England you can claim the cost back from the office at the hospital.

PS, if you need a GA then you will be kept in overnight.

Last edited:
Okay, in case anybody else has problems travelling to an "Out of area NHS referral": Since today is 10 days before my appointment, my support worker phoned the patient transport service and, because [on top of my already poor eye-sight] I will have blurry vision, they have agreed to provide an ambulance to get me home after the pre-assessment. :D

On a related note, on Wednesday evening I was kicking back watching 'Hannibal' on Netflix when my fire detector thingy started jangling and flashing. I immediately switched it off of course, but when the on-duty care-attendant came through on the intercom to enquire if I was okay, I told him that while I couldn't see any flames, my cataracts make everything seem smoky so I had no idea if there was smoke or not...... Literally about 4 minutes minutes later, there were three fully crewed fire engines parked outside my window just to check if I was okay. Much to my relief, it was a false alarm.

The firemen were very understanding and said that it was probably the heat.... I am just grateful it didn't set off the sprinklers🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back