Patient Ombudsman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrvineHimself

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Sorry I haven't been about much recently, I have been totally absorbed in my 'vine Project'. Anyway, after my recent out-of-area referral for cataract surgery, I was thinking of writing a letter to an NHS Patient Ombudsman [if I can find one], my MP, MSP along with my local Councillor detailing my recent experience with the Edinburgh Eye Pavilion. Noting this is a first draft, I was wondering what the forum thinks:

I am a 67 year old male who has been on the waiting lists [plural] for over a year to see consultants at the Princess Alexandria Eye Pavilion in Edinburgh. Currently, I have referrals for Cataracts and Glaucoma, and, apart from acknowledgements that they have received both referrals, I have heard absolutely nothing else.

Okay, with all the press coverage about the pressures that the NHS is under, despite the fact that Glaucoma is an irreversible degenerative condition, I was prepared to accept this and wait patiently for my turn. However, about a month ago, I was offered an out of area referral for my cataracts at the Golden Jubilee in Clydebank. By co-incidence, on the day following the offered Clydebank appointment, I had an appointment at the Eye Pavilion for Diabetic Retinopathy screening. As a result, by direct comparison, I was able to see first hand how totally inept the senior management at the Eye Pavilion truly are.

Further, when offered the out of area referral, I was told that waiting list for cataract surgery in Edinburgh is over three years. In consequence, taking the referral at Clydebank was a no-brainer. Unfortunately, I have multiple serious health conditions, and, by the time the patient transport ambulance finally got me home to my assisted living apartment in Edinburgh, I was close to collapse; it was only the presence of the ambulance crew which prevented me from falling!

This however, is the least concerning aspect of my travails that day: Noting that it was the first time I had actually seen a consultant about any of my vision problems, it turns out that not only do I have Cataracts, Presbyopia and Glaucoma, but I also have "Fuchs' Corneal Dystrophy". This is yet another degenerative eye condition, which, in addition, is also major complication for my cataract surgery.

Anyway, the following morning, I turned up promptly, 10 minutes early for my 10am retinopathy appointment at the Eye Pavilion. My previous retinopathy scans had been taken by a technician at the Leith Community Centre, so this was the first time I had ever been to the Eye Pavilion. In contrast to my experience at Golden Jubilee, where the staff were polite, supportive and extremely well organised, after telling the receptionist at the main desk why I was there, I was directed to the third floor. Once there, a second receptionist just waved me through to a waiting area. At no point was I asked my name or otherwise signed in!

Anyway, I sat there patiently for over two hours while other patients were arriving being seen and leaving. Thinking I had possibly gotten my days mixed up I explained to a passing nurse/technician the situation and why I was there, and a few minutes later, a very young, very apologetic technician took me for my retinopathy photo.

It should be noted, that I do not blame the receptionists, nurses or technicians. In my opinion. my experience demonstrates a basic failure of senior management and somebody in authority really needs to hold them to account.

Further, the most concerning aspect of my experience with the Edinburgh Eye Pavilion is that, in over a year, despite having multiple degenerative eye conditions, I have never seen anyone from the Eye Pavilion above technician grade.

I doubt it will make any difference, but what does the forum think?

Irvine

Last edited:
That is a extremely good letter. Make sure it goes to the correct person/people to register as a complaint through whatever system you have in Scotland. Here we have PALS to which complaints are addressed and they are obligated to respond within a certain time frame.
Sorry I haven't been about much recently, I have been totally absorbed in my 'vine Project'. Anyway, after my recent out-of-area referral for cataract surgery, I was thinking of writing a letter to an NHS Patient Ombudsman [if I can find one], my MP, MSP along with my local Councillor detailing my recent experience with the Edinburgh Eye Pavilion. Noting this is a first draft, I was wondering what the forum thinks:

I doubt it will make any difference, but what does the forum think?

Irvine

Thanks, I am still refining it slightly to keep it as succinct as possible yet full explain the gravity of the situation. As I pointed out, I am going to send it to the patient ombudsman, along with my MP, MSP and local Councillor.

For comparison, here is the second draft:
I am a 67 year old male who has been on the waiting lists [plural] for over a year to see consultants at the Princess Alexandria Eye Pavilion in Edinburgh. Currently, I have referrals for Cataracts and Glaucoma, and, apart from acknowledgements that they have received both referrals, I have heard absolutely nothing else.

Okay, with all the press coverage about the pressures that the NHS is under, despite the fact that Glaucoma is an irreversible degenerative condition, I was prepared to accept this and wait patiently for my turn. However, about a month ago, I was offered an out of area referral for my cataracts at the Golden Jubilee in Clydebank. By co-incidence, on the day following the offered Clydebank pre-assessment appointment, I had another appointment at the Eye Pavilion for Diabetic Retinopathy screening. As a result, by direct comparison, I was able to see first hand how totally inept the senior management at the Eye Pavilion truly are.

Further, when offered the out of area referral, I was told that waiting list for cataract surgery in Edinburgh is over three years. In consequence, taking the referral at Clydebank was a 'no-brainer'. Unfortunately, in addition to my vision problems, I have multiple serious health conditions for which I am in receipt of Attendance Allowance and require the aid of a walking stick. So, after a very long day, by the time the patient transport ambulance finally got me home to my assisted living apartment in Edinburgh, I was close to collapse; it was only the presence of the ambulance crew which prevented me from falling!

This however, is the least concerning aspect of my travails that day: Noting that it was the first time I had actually seen a consultant about any of my vision problems, it turns out that not only do I have Cataracts, Presbyopia and Glaucoma, but I also have "Fuchs' Corneal Dystrophy". This is yet another degenerative eye condition, which, in addition, is also major complication for my cataract surgery.

Anyway, the following morning, I turned up promptly, 10 minutes early for my 10am retinopathy appointment at the Eye Pavilion. My previous retinopathy scans had been taken by a technician at the Leith Community Centre, so this was the first time I had ever been to the Eye Pavilion. In contrast to my experience at Golden Jubilee, where the staff were polite, supportive and extremely well organised, after telling the receptionist at the main desk why I was there, I was directed to the third floor. Once there, a second receptionist just waved me through to a waiting area. At no point was I asked my name or otherwise signed in!

Anyway, I sat there patiently for over two hours while other patients were arriving being seen and leaving. Thinking I had possibly gotten my days mixed up I explained to a passing nurse the situation and why I was there, and, a few minutes later, a very young, very apologetic technician took me for my retinopathy photo.

It should be noted, that I do not blame the receptionists, nurses or technicians. However, in my opinion. my experience demonstrates a basic failure of senior management at the Edinburgh Eye Pavilion, and somebody in authority really needs to hold them to account.

Further, the most concerning aspect of my experience with the Edinburgh Eye Pavilion is that, in over a year, despite having multiple degenerative eye conditions, I have never seen anyone from the Eye Pavilion above technician grade.

Yours in faith
Insert Personal Contact Details

@IrvineHimself could I suggest adding a bit at the start regarding what impact the lack of treatment is having to your life?
At work when explaining a problem, I have learnt to answer the "So what?" question before it is asked. It adds more credence to the urgency if it is having a serious impact. Even if you may think that impact is obvious.

Great idea, I will do so. For letters like this, I like to write at least three drafts with a couple of hours for reflection between each draft, and allow at least 24 hours to reflect on the final version.

Hi it’s a good start, for info in this area the ombudsman won’t take the letter until you have been through your local nhs complaint process.

Hi it’s a good start, for info in this area the ombudsman won’t take the letter until you have been through your local nhs complaint process.
Sorry, could you go into a little more detail please.

Sorry, could you go into a little more detail please.
Hi so I live in Devon so to take a case to the patient ombudsman when they go through the process, they ask have you completed the complaint process with the team / organisation that your contacting them about, in England they won’t intervene until you have exhausted that, states it clearly on the website, it’s horrible as it takes months when it’s a serious medical situation that your needing help with.

Okay, I found the NHS Scotland complaints procedure and where to address the my initial complaint.

Here is what I think will be the final draft, but I am going to sleep on it tonight before sending it off:

Okay, with all the press coverage about the pressures that the NHS is under, despite the fact that Glaucoma is an irreversible degenerative condition, I was prepared to accept this and wait patiently for my turn. However, about a month ago, I was offered an out of area referral for my cataracts at the Golden Jubilee in Clydebank with INSERT NAME OF CONSULTANT. By co-incidence, on the day following the offered Clydebank pre-assessment appointment, I had another appointment at the Eye Pavilion for Diabetic Retinopathy screening. As a result, by direct comparison, I was able to see first hand how totally inept the senior management at the Eye Pavilion truly are.

Further, when offered the out of area referral, I was told that waiting list for cataract surgery in Edinburgh is over three years. In consequence, taking the referral at Clydebank was a 'no-brainer'. Unfortunately, in addition to my vision problems, I have multiple serious health conditions and mobility issues for which I am in receipt of Attendance Allowance and require the aid of a walking stick. So, after a very long day, by the time the patient transport ambulance finally got me home to my assisted living apartment in Edinburgh, I was close to collapse; it was only because of the aid from the ambulance crew that I didn't fall!

This however, is the least concerning aspect of that days' travails : Noting that it was the first time I had actually seen a consultant about any of my vision problems, it turns out that not only do I have Cataracts, Presbyopia and Glaucoma, but I also have "Fuchs' Corneal Dystrophy". This is yet another degenerative eye condition, which, in addition, is also a major complication for my cataract surgery.

Anyway, the following morning, I turned up promptly [10 minutes early] for my 10am retinopathy appointment at the Eye Pavilion. My previous retinopathy scans had been taken by a technician at the Leith Community Centre, so this was the first time I had ever been to the Eye Pavilion. In contrast to my experience at Golden Jubilee, where the staff were proffessional, supportive and extremely well organised, after telling the receptionist at the main desk why I was there, I was directed to the third floor. Once there, a second receptionist just waved me through to a waiting area. At no point was I asked my name or otherwise signed in!

Anyway, I sat there patiently for over two hours while other patients were arriving being seen and leaving. Thinking I had possibly gotten my days mixed up I explained to a passing nurse the situation and why I was there, and, a few minutes later, a very young, very apologetic technician took me for my retinopathy photo.

It should be noted, that I do not blame the receptionists, nurses or technicians. However, in my opinion. my experience demonstrates a basic failure of senior management at the Edinburgh Eye Pavilion, and somebody in authority really needs to hold them to account.

As a side note, my deteriorating eyesight is causing me the following problems:
1) Extreme photo-sensitivity resulting in me having to wear prescription sunglasses even though this actually makes the loss of vision from my cataracts much worse. (I only recently found out that this is one of the indicators of Fuchs' Dystrophy)

2) A couple of weeks ago, around 9pm, because of the extreme heat, my fire alarm went off. While I was sure it was a false alarm, my eyesight is so blurry that I was unable to tell the on-duty care attendant whether or not there was any smoke or not. As a result, within a few minutes, there were three fully crewed fire engines parked outside my residence to check up on me.

3) The Glaucoma however is causing me the most problems: In general, while I take steps to always leave the things I am currently using in specific places so that I can easily find them, more and more often I am turning my place upside down looking for something that is sitting in plain view. Similarly, shopping is fast becoming a very embarrassing nightmare where I am frequently having to ask the shop assistants for help locating items which are right in front of me.

However, as someone who has always had a high degree of situational awareness, the loss of peripheral vision is causing me the most distress: Being old and slow, I frequently hear people behind me, but am unable to see them unless I stop and turn fully to face them.

This loss of peripheral vision combined with the cataracts; photo-sensitivity and my mobility issues makes simple things like crossing the road very exciting! As a former enthusiastic extreme sportsman, I always loved a good adrenalin rush. But, given my current state of health, this is now something I could do well without.

Finally, particularly in my left eye, it feels like someone is pressing a thumb into the eyeball. While not extremely painful, it is very uncomfortable.

Yours in faith
Insert Personal Data

Irvine

Hi so I live in Devon so to take a case to the patient ombudsman when they go through the process, they ask have you completed the complaint process with the team / organisation that your contacting them about, in England they won’t intervene until you have exhausted that, states it clearly on the website, it’s horrible as it takes months when it’s a serious medical situation that your needing help with.
Yeah, I completely agree. Apparently in Scotland the Patient Charter guarantees a response within twenty days, so we shall see🙄

Yeah, I completely agree. Apparently in Scotland the Patient Charter guarantees a response within twenty days, so we shall see🙄
Really hope you get some help, my case has been in process since last year, just had 10 days in hospital because of the mess, keep my fingers crossed for you!

Yeah, I saw that one, it leads to the same email address. (I want to use email so that I can CC to my MP, MSP, Local Councillor and my Support Worker)

Thanks for all the links
Irvine
Your welcome, yes so I see buts there’s another page saying you need to go to the service or board at your local Nhs trust which is all very confusing, hope you have a decent Mp that will push for you!

Thanks, I am still refining it slightly to keep it as succinct as possible yet full explain the gravity of the situation. As I pointed out, I am going to send it to the patient ombudsman, along with my MP, MSP and local Councillor.

For comparison, here is the second draft:
Irvine, in my professional experience, working in regulated environments, Ombudsmen, per se, are there to take a view when all other avenues have failed to bring a desired outcome, so my steer would be that you should first complain where you see the issues; in this case at the Eye Pavillion.

They Eye Pavillion then have an opportunity to try to put right your grievance, or whatever they decide is fair. If that fails to impress you, then you escalate it.

Lothian Complaints Process: https://www.nhslothian.scot/yourrights/compliments-concerns-complaints/making-a-complaint/

Please don't consider I write this because I lack sympathy with your plight. I'm just trying ti minimize the potential for further frustration.

What are you actually trying to achieve with this letter? I don’t write that in a mean way but simply that I’ve read it, I see you’re unhappy with various things, but I haven’t a clue what actions you’re asking them to take. The purpose of a complaint is usually to request specific actions and I don’t see that in your letter. Also two paragraphs start with “anyway” which I’d reword as it’s bad grammar and when reading it whenever I see a paragraph starting with anyway my brain interprets that as “don’t both reading previous paragraph it was just waffle this one is the key point”

What are you actually trying to achieve with this letter? I don’t write that in a mean way but simply that I’ve read it, I see you’re unhappy with various things, but I haven’t a clue what actions you’re asking them to take. The purpose of a complaint is usually to request specific actions and I don’t see that in your letter. Also two paragraphs start with “anyway” which I’d reword as it’s bad grammar and when reading it whenever I see a paragraph starting with anyway my brain interprets that as “don’t both reading previous paragraph it was just waffle this one is the key point”
I want them to give the senior management at the Eye Pavilion a good shake up. They are obviously just bureaucratic button pushers with no actual managerial talent. If challenge, they will pull out several reams of paper and say something like: "Oh! We did this and this and this ..... and oh yes, we have had this problem and that problem and ...."

Yet, and the end of the day, the bottom line is they don't even have a simple check in procedure in place, nor a method of keeping patients informed about the triaging process. These two aspects in particular are so basic that their lack speaks volumes about their actual managerial ability [as oppose to bureaucratic].

If you recall Baby-P, the senior manager stood in front of the cameras with a very thick sheaf of papers and said: "We did everything we were bureaucratically required to." Which, while technically true, demonstrated a complete lack of judgement for which she was universally condemned.

It is inconceivable that my experience with the Eye Pavilion is unique. So, given the length of the waiting lists, in the Edinburgh region there are almost certainly at least a couple of hundred people who are in serious danger of going permanently blind before they manage to see a consultant. When the consultant at Golden Jubilee heard about my lack of treatment for the glaucoma, he was visibly shocked!

Anyway, I sent off the final draft to NHS Lothian feedback, my MP, MSP, local councillors and support workers this morning and got an immediate reply from the "Patient Experience Team":
.... Unfortunately, we are experiencing some temporary staffing difficulties within the Patient Experience Team and as a result it may take us a few days to get back to you, however please be assured that we will be back in touch in due course......
🙄

For reference, my final draft was:
To whom it may concern.

I am a 67 year old male who has been on the waiting lists [plural] for roughly one year to see consultants at the Princess Alexandria Eye Pavilion in Edinburgh. (I was first diagnosed with cataracts back in April 2022, followed by an initial diagnosis for Glaucoma in early September 2022.) Apart from very belated acknowledgements that they have received both referrals, I have heard absolutely nothing else from the Eye Pavilion.

Okay, with all the press coverage about the pressures that the NHS is under, despite the fact that Glaucoma is an irreversible degenerative condition, I was prepared to accept this and wait patiently for my turn. However, about a month ago, I was offered an out of area referral for my cataracts at the Golden Jubilee in Clydebank with Dr ???????? [27th June 2023]. By co-incidence, on the day following the Clydebank pre-assessment appointment, I had an appointment at the Eye Pavilion [28th June 2023] for Diabetic Retinopathy screening. As a result, by direct comparison, I was able to see first hand how totally inept the senior management at the Eye Pavilion are.

Further, when offered the out-of-area referral, I was told that the waiting list for cataract surgery in Edinburgh is over three years. In consequence, taking the referral at Clydebank was a 'no-brainer'. Unfortunately, in addition to my vision problems, I have multiple serious health conditions along with mobility issues for which I am in receipt of Attendance Allowance and require the aid of a walking stick. So, after a very long day, by the time the patient transport ambulance finally got me home to my assisted living apartment in Edinburgh, I was close to collapse. It was only because of the presence of the ambulance crew that I didn't fall.

This however, is the least concerning aspect of that days' travails: Noting that it was the first time I had actually seen a consultant about any of my vision problems, it turns out that not only do I have Cataracts, Presbyopia and Glaucoma, but I also have "Fuchs' Corneal Dystrophy". This is yet another irreversible degenerative eye condition which, if left untreated, is likely to require corneal transplants. In addition, it is also a major complication for my cataract surgery.

Anyway, the following morning, I turned up promptly [10 minutes early] for my 10am retinopathy appointment at the Eye Pavilion. My previous retinopathy scans had been taken by a technician at the Leith Community Centre, so this was the first time I had ever been to the Eye Pavilion. In contrast to my experience at Golden Jubilee [and Leith Community Centre], where the staff were professional, supportive and extremely well organised, after telling the receptionist at the main desk why I was there, I was directed to the third floor. Once there, a second receptionist just waved me through to a waiting area. At no point was I asked my name or otherwise required to sign in.

I sat there patiently for over two hours while other patients were arriving; being seen, and leaving. Thinking I had possibly gotten my dates mixed up, I explained to a passing nurse the situation and why I was there. A few minutes later, a very young, very apologetic technician took me for my retinopathy scan.

It should be noted that I do not blame the receptionists, nurses or technicians. However, in my opinion, my experience demonstrates a basic failure of senior management at the Edinburgh Eye Pavilion, and somebody in authority really needs to hold them to account.

At the end of the day, the most concerning aspect of my experience with the Edinburgh Eye Pavilion is that, in over a year, despite having multiple degenerative eye conditions + diabetes + mini-stroke, I have never seen anyone from the Eye Pavilion above technician grade.

As a side note, my rapidly deteriorating eyesight is causing me the following problems:
1) Extreme photo-sensitivity resulting in me regularly having to wear prescription sunglasses even though this actually makes the loss of vision from my cataracts much worse. (It is only in the last few days that I found out this is one of the indicators of Fuchs' Dystrophy)

2) A couple of weeks ago, around 9pm, because of the extreme heat, my fire alarm went off. While I was sure it was a false alarm, my eyesight is so blurry, I was unable to tell the out-of-hours care attendant whether or not there was any smoke. As a result, within a few minutes, there were multiple fully crewed fire engines parked outside my residence to check up on me.

3) The Glaucoma however is causing me the most problems: In general, in order to easily find them, I always leave the things I am currently using in specific places. More and more often though, I am turning my place upside down looking for something which is sitting in plain view. Similarly, shopping is fast becoming a very embarrassing nightmare where I am frequently having to ask the shop assistants for help locating items which are right in front of me.

However, as someone who has always had a high degree of situational awareness, the loss of peripheral vision is causing me the most distress: Being old and slow, I frequently hear people behind me, but am unable to see them unless I stop and turn fully to face them.

This loss of peripheral vision combined with the cataracts; photo-sensitivity and my mobility issues makes simple things like crossing the road very exciting! As a former enthusiastic extreme sportsman, I always loved a good adrenalin rush. But, given my current state of health, this is now something I could do well without.

Finally, particularly in my left eye, it constantly feels like someone is pressing a thumb into the eyeball. While not extremely painful, it is very uncomfortable.

Yours in faith
????????
????????
????????
Edinburgh
????????

Tel: ????????
Email: ????????

Anyway, I sent off the final draft to NHS Lothian feedback, my MP, MSP, local councillors and support workers this morning and got an immediate reply from the "Patient Experience Team":

🙄

For reference, my final draft was:
"They" will always have a window for replies - usually 5 days for acknowledgement (although that automated response would count, in my view), then set times for their responses, to allow for investigations, and all parties to have their say.

I doubt it'll be quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back