Path to remission

FlatCapDave

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi all,

My name is Dave (as you can tell!) and I was diagnosed with type 2 in 2019 at the age of 28. There is a strong family history of type 2 in the family and I don’t live the healthiest life if I’m honest. After my latest 1ac had gone up to 75 I was shocked into action. I asked to be referred to the pathway to remission programme and I’m about to embark on this.

I’ve joined to read success stories and struggles from others who have done this and hopefully support as I’m dreading it! (The shakes taste sickly sweet!).

Thanks
Dave

Welcome @FlatCapDave 🙂 I think @pjgtech is one of a number of people here doing, or who have done, that programme or similar. Hopefully they’ll be along later to comment. I remember someone else mention the sweetness of the shakes too. Perhaps some flavours are better than others?

I have been in remission for over 7 years, eating a low carb diet, but wanted to see what the shakes might do. I am due a blood test on the 21st of this month and have been having a shake and a small meal daily for a couple of weeks now.
I dilute the shakes to double their intended volume using the water from cleaning off the blender.
To my surprise I am not hungry eating this way - I schedule the shake for 5pm and have just noticed it is past that now.

Welcome from me too. Can't comment on the NHS Pathway to Remission Programme, and what it involves, as it came too late for me - I, and others, had to go it alone - but I wish you every success in your aim for remission. Keep us posted.

Hi, I am only on week 2 of the T2D Pathway to Remission, but its going ok so far for me.
I thought I would hate it and was dreading it, but TBH, I'm not feeling hungry, and not reallt missing any particular food, the shakes really do fill you up.
You will need to monitor yourself (if going the digital route), eg: weight, blood glucose, blood pressure, etc.
I assume if you go face to face they do the readings for you, not sure?

You will feel as though you have very low energy, (as you do have very low energy) so try not to do anything too active or exert yourself too much. If you feel a bit dizzy, cold sweat, etc, just have a small sugary bite, I have a couple of grapes and/or a couple of nuts, (but literally only a few, eg: 2-4) and that usually makes you feel ok again.

The weight is falling off me so far, nearly a stone in 10 days! and my BG has dropped, so all good.
I have been good so far and pretty much stuck 100% to the plan, no "normal" meals at all, and I'm not missing them.

My thread on it is here, see linky

I quite like the shakes, but I have a sweet tooth! I can't stand the soups.
Each area has its onw provider of the Pathway to Remission program. In my area its Xyla Health, and the food supplier they use for the meal replacement is Altra Life. They have severely limited choice, eg: soups and shakes only, so I am basically limited to the shakes only.
But, others on here have mentioned other food suppliers (who also do the total meal replacement foods, eg: 200 cals each with all vitamins and nutrients you need). I personally like "Shake that Weight", they have loads of choices, porridge, snacks, meals, etc. I have bought some and have one of theirs a day as a treat, and then the three normal shakes from Altra as my daily regime. You are not supposed to, you are meant to stick to their own supplier, but as long as its a similar total meal replacement food, 200 cals, etc it should be ok. Just my 2c worth, cheers

Good luck with the programme @FlatCapDave

We’ve had a fair few members who have found it helpful, and several who are currently working through it.

@Kreator ‘s thread is one which springs to mind

Some members found the soup-and-shake intervention helped to ‘reset’ their relationship to food. The original research had follow-up information from those that initially took part. Of those who initially had success, it was clear that it was important to find a long-term way of eating to maintain the weight loss after the soup and shake phase had been completed. Where the weight stayed off, the benefits were retained.

Back