Patches to protect Freestyle Libre sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearos

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
What experience do other people have of using patches around their Freestyle Libre sensors? I generally don't bother as few of my sensors have come off when in use. I am aware that the sensors are vulnerable to being knocked off (especially when playing with my active granddaughters.) Do the patches stay on well in showers, etc? Are they easy to remove?

I don’t use them. On the rare occasion a sensor comes off early I report it to abbot for replacement.

What experience do other people have of using patches around their Freestyle Libre sensors? I generally don't bother as few of my sensors have come off when in use. I am aware that the sensors are vulnerable to being knocked off (especially when playing with my active granddaughters.) Do the patches stay on well in showers, etc? Are they easy to remove?
I play full contact rugby and never lost a senor during a match or training. I only wear patches if very damp or muddy conditions. But if you are losing them this way it may be worth getting some. I ordered some very cheap ones off amazon, which I think are designed to go on and stay on until you remove the sensor as they sometimes stick to the sensor.
I would say get a few of any type and give them a go.

They stay on very well from the few types I have used, too well in some cases. I also found vet wrap (bandages for animals) really good for rugby, easy on and off, stays put in mud and tackles :D

Found the patches are good on holiday / hot weather, with sun scream, aftersun, sweat and in and out of water does take a toll on the libres stick, it can handle all, but that's testing them, so you will likely need some at one point.

I will add that a pack of 20 lasted me nearly 3 years (3 seasons of rugby) and 2 holidays aboard, so I haven't used them a lot.

I use the Kovoq white plastic cover, held on by one of its accompanying circular sticky patches, for my Libre 2 sensor.
This almost invariably lasts the full 14 days, although it frays at the edges towards the end of that time.
[Whether it will last the full 15 days for a Libre 2 Plus sensor remains to be determined!]
I've never had a sensor knocked off my arm yet, and there's been no submersion problem in lengthy daily baths.

Both the patch and the sensor itself stick like glue (oh, it is glue!) to my arm, and some degree of brutality is required to remove them when the sensor expires. This effort can be reduced somewhat by applying some massage oil (other dissolving liquids are available) to the patch, and, later, around the sensor.

I use an elastic arm band to keep mine secure. I have had it for 2 years but recently lost it and feel it is sufficiently beneficial to be ordering a new one today. It is one of those with a 3D printed plastic watch face which fits perfectly around the circumference of the sensor with an adjustable elastic strap. I find it particularly helpful in ensuring the adhesive creates a good bond to my skin in the first 24 hours after application when it is most vulnerable and also to act as a visual reminder in the shower so that I don't accidentally scrub my sensor loose in the shower or when towel drying afterwards because I forgot which arm it was on or indeed that it was there at all. Again the sensor can be more vulnerable during or just after a hot shower/bath as the adhesive becomes pliable in hot, wet conditions.

I was struggling keeping the FL in place to the point I had three in a row fail. I decided to purchase patches. Got the 'not just a patch' ones. Work very well and certainly handle daily showers with ease.

I have a roll of Hypafix tape which I bought online. I can cut whatever size/shape strips or pieces I need to secure any site/sensor that seems to need a little help 🙂

I have a roll of Hypafix tape which I bought online. I can cut whatever size/shape strips or pieces I need to secure any site/sensor that seems to need a little help 🙂
I too have the Hypafix tape. It's great stuff as it can be used either side of the sensor - it provides skin protection if you get a reaction to the glue and it provides sensor protection if they fall off. The only thing I would say is that apart from skin and itself, things don't stick as well to Hypafix so, if you use it under a sensor, you are more likely to need it over the sensor.

My partner also swears by it for blister avoidance on his heels when hiking.

Yes it’s not as invisible and fancy as some overtapes, but I’ve found it very reliable.

I have some clear adhesive patches (from Amazon) that I use when swimming and also if I feel my sensor is starting to look a bit loose as happens when you catch it on a door frame, etc. Works for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back