pastry

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingdong

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
anyone got a recipie for pastry made with almond flour to make a savoury pie ie steak pie .mince pie .thanks

Just make the filling and forget the pastry? Far easier.

anyone got a recipie for pastry made with almond flour to make a savoury pie ie steak pie .mince pie .thanks
The problem I find with almond flour is that it is inherently sweet so fine for crumbles or pastry for a apple pie but maybe you could add grated onion, chilli, or cheese to it to help.

I've used almond flour, chickpea flour, and coconut flour in the past.
All work well.
I don't have a specific recipe, but there are many on the internet.
After I lost enough weight to reverse my diabetes I went back to normal pastry.
You could try just a pastry topping, that in itself should be low carb with a puff pastry.

Fibre flour may be worth considering...it isn't cheap but is the closest to normal flour I've found. It makes decent bread buns (i've tried a wide range of esoteric ingredients to make a keto bread and fibre flour is the best) pizza bases and crumbles. Can't say have tried pastry but i can see it working well...not ultra low carbs at 15g per 100 but lots less than normal flour. Unlike almond flour based snacks i do find it raised bs so i do need to take insulin with it. It comes in normal (good for brown bread, wholemeal stuff) and fine (cakes, pastry, white bread)

I have used filo before. Just crumple up the sheets, brush with melted butter and just top your pie filling. Much less carbs and was surprisingly nice and crispy. I think it may have been in a Joe Wicks cookery book.

I have used filo before. Just crumple up the sheets, brush with melted butter and just top your pie filling. Much less carbs and was surprisingly nice and crispy. I think it may have been in a Joe Wicks cookery book.

Sounds good, great idea eggyg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back