Status
Not open for further replies.

gll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Heya all.

I have mainly avoided pasta thus far as it is my nemesis :D All I can really say so far is it keeps on giving after even the tail of fast acting is done.

How do you all tackle it?

Making Macaroni cheese tonight and I should give it a try again now I am off fixed bolus and actually carb counting.
(also scoring major mum points as kids love it)

Thank you in advance <3

Not speaking as an experienced insulin/pasta juggler by any means and in fact I may not have had pasta at all in the 3.5 years since diagnosis but what I tend to do when I am tackling a tricky meal or slow release carbs particularly with fat as your macaroni cheese will be, is to eat early if possible so I can see how things are panning out later, hit it with some insulin up front ..... maybe half what I think I will need and then monitor levels afterwards and jab the rest in one or 2 doses over the next few hours according to the trends on my Libre. If it is particularly carb heavy, I will almost always need a couple more units than I guesstimated.
Close monitoring afterwards via Libre is the key to successful negotiation of tricky meals. I have learned to give it more than I think I will need because I can always have a little sweet treat afterwards/before bed to rectify any overdose if I need to rather than be injecting corrections at bedtime, which is much more enjoyable and less risky.

I’m on a pump but you could do similar with split boluses. On my pump I bolus 30-50% insulin upfront, then spread the rest over two hours. On MDI, I’d split the bolus and experiment with percentages and when to have the second dose. I also recommend having a moderate portion to start with so you can experiment without having to allow for slower digestion of big amounts of carbs.

I agree with @Inka. I do something similar with my pump.
Bear in mind, if you are having macaroni cheese, the fatty cheese will slow the carb absorption down even more that a tomato-based sauce, like Bolognaise.
You will definitely need to experiment and, by the sound of it, your family will be happy to join you.

Ill start by trying 50% upfront and 50% at 90 mins.
No prebolus time.
Off to measure out a portion :D
Will report back 😉

Fingers crossed! Definitely worth chucking a few test strips and a few experiments to see if you can find a system that works for you.

Good luck!

Progress update...

pasta so far.jpg
3 hours in on first jab and 1 1/2 on 2nd jab

I feel its keeping a lid on it somewhat, the macaroni just keeps on giving.

Dinner was lovely tho 😛

Just remembered this blog post from way back. Sometimes meals (or larger carb loads) can seem to need a bit of extra oomph and/or a different ratio

Thanks Mike 🙂 trying to find all the little tips and tricks so that defo helps!

I'm 4 hours since the 2nd bolus and almost at my pre meal starting point of 7.2 :D

bg so far.jpg

Appreciate the help everyone. Defo a treat and not a regular thing but good to know I can beat it :D

Looks like you did pretty well. Splitting the bolus is best for fatty foods, but if the late rise was lasting too long you could try reducing the cheese, or using a lower fat cheese, to reduce the tail spike

I'm 4 hours since the 2nd bolus and almost at my pre meal starting point of 7.2 :D

View attachment 22247

Appreciate the help everyone. Defo a treat and not a regular thing but good to know I can beat it :D

Call that good result.

Another who use to split dose on injections, on pump just give some upfront rest spread over couple of hours.

Find very few meals are difficult with right tools & knowledge, that knowledge is gained from experience.

View attachment 22247

Well I’d count that as a very successful attempt 🙂

Hope things continued to potter along nicely overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back