Partners sugars were 3.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellbell84

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
morning!!!

my boyfriend was shaky yesterday lunchtime and i asked him if i could test his sugars (clean sharps and everything, dont worry)

i was shocked to see it was 3.4, so i asked him if he was feeling ok and he said yeah, fine!!

If i had that reading i would have been all over the place, not making sense and sweating left right and centre!!

My other half has had numbers as low as 2.7 and as high as I think 10 (I posted about it before). It's ot unusual for non-diabetics to have blood sugars that are lower than our target. They will detect that blood sugar has dropped and shut off insulin production. As we can't do that it becomes dangerous because we risk dropping further.

My sugars were 3.8 yesteday i felt fine before i tested them bought it caught up with me and made me feel awful

My o/h asked me to test him just out of curiosity and he tested at 5.4 and when i tested him sunday just gone he was 8.2 that was after his usual sunday night out .

They can range from 3.3 in non-diabetics - we have a slightly higher limit as going below 4.0 is a sign that we might be about to go lower and we need to treat it before it gets below that 3.3. It can go lower still e.g. Paula Radcliffe suffers hypos sometimes due to the length and intensity of exercise she undergoes - even with a fully working glucose control mechanism she manages to deplete her stores of energy! How you feel will depend a lot on what sort of level your sugars have been at recently.

hellbell, I hope the other half is OK. At least you were able to check for him. As others have said in a non diabetic with a fully functional pancreas, this is not too bad.

Hey 🙂

I've done this a couple of times on my husband once he asked me to check it cause he was shaking and he was 4.0 he started joking around about i'm just about to have a hypo (just looking for sympathy I think 🙄)

xx

My OH had one of these the other day too -- he was an absolute mess upon getting home from work, and could not get food in fast enough. He could hardly function, was shaking, palpitations, the whole thing. My son (who IS type 1) and he have always had this with lack of food (in son's case, even before he was diagnosed)....when I mentioned to a DSN once that I wondered if this had anything to do with the development of type 1, she looked at me like I was crazy...I'm sure I am crazy when it comes to this, but it is remarkable when it happens. We didn't test his blood because we didn't stop to do it -- get the food in, quick! -- but I do wonder what it would have been....

Does sounds a bit strange patricia, that he would feel that bad. After a marathon maybe, but just home from work 😱 Must have been a rough day!

Yes...it doesn't happen often, but it's always connected to lack of food and/or exercise... He's been ill a few times in his life and more than once in the morning wee tests he's been thought to be type 1 (eg morning ketones due to LACK of glucose, which apparently can happen I discovered the other day, duh). However, this is not the case. Yet.😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back