Partner Suffering from Burnout

Status
Not open for further replies.

loilage

Relationship to Diabetes
Hi, my partner is Type 1 and has been diabetic for 24 years.
I am concerned that he is experiencing burnout. This is because of a number of reasons:

1) We moved house (+5 to stress)
2) He has to commute for an hour to get to work each way on packed trains (+3 to stress)
2) Earlier this year his sister died at the age of 39. She was an amazing person! But CF is cruel. (+lots to stress)
3) Later in the year we found out that I am a carrier of CF (same as him), so now we are concerned with having a child naturally, and going through the genetic testing system etc takes a long time. (+10 to stress)
4) His GP surgery has been completely incompetent with his diabetic treatments - he had his first foot check over a year after joining the surgery because I specifically phoned up and requested one for him. Add to that all of the late/not produced prescriptions and all the smarmy "you missed your appointment" when we didn't even get a letter saying that he HAD an appointment, (+10 to stress)
5) The introduction of the Patient Access change of prescription method (so no more repeat prescriptions) (which the GP didn't even inform us about!) has really messed up the system we had in place (+3 to stress)
6) After recently losing vision in his left eye, it turns out that he has developed macular edema, which is seriously affecting his work (he is a software engineer). (+20 stress)
7) That means eye injections (+30 stress)
8) And the GP's have not only NOT provided any support for him during this time (+5 stress), but have actually told him that he has 30 days to change surgery as he is "no longer in the catchment area for that Drs" so they will be stopping prescribing his medication in (now less than) 30 days. (+lots of stress)
-----we knew changing Drs would be required due to the new address, but what with everything else that has been going on we haven't gotten round to it, but the hospital letters were all being sent to the old address so we phoned up to change the address to the new one and were bluntly informed that we are out of the catchment area.

Add to that Brexit, his aggressive brother bullying his parents, my writing my thesis and electrical issues in the house, he is feeling pretty rubbish. Not surprising that his control isn't therefore as good as it should be (though it is pretty good given the circumstances IMO!)

Tbf, he has tried to create a positive out of all this negativity - he has developed a diabetic diary app to help him monitor his sugars over the day. But on the whole, he feels like that the whole country is now set up to let him die. He feels that the NHS is going to fail in the next few years due to lack of funding and no support. He is concerned that he will have to start paying for medication that he Literally needs to live (Tax to Survive much?) and he's just so fed up with it all that he just wants to get out of it.

He's talking about stopping testing, he doesn't feel that he has the time or energy to go through the "finding-a-good-GP" routine AGAIN, he doesn't have the energy to go to work and can't really think when he is there, and, not frequently but enough to worry me, has mentioned thoughts of suicide.

As his partner (10years), I am trying my best to help him where I can: we have changed onto
a low carb diet to try and keep his sugars down, I have bought "think like a pancreas" to try and help me understand the science behind diabetes (but it's American, so obviously has slight differences compared to the UK way of doing things), I take him to his retinopathy/hospital appointments and try to book them for him. I listen to him when he's frustrated, and will happily do things like fetch him his testing kit/insulin/fresh needles/water/whatever I can do to make him feel better. I try to take as much of the load off of him as I can, but (understandably) that just makes him feel more out of control. But if I leave him to do it, it doesn't get done as he feels like it's all a waste of time anyway.

It's gotten to the point where he doesn't think I know enough about his diabetes to help him (which is fair, as I don't HAVE diabetes so I don't know how being "high" or "low" feels), but he doesn't trust the doctors to deal with his health properly.

So I guess what I'm asking here is, what should I do? What CAN I do to help him in a manner that doesn't make him feel worse?

(p.s. sorry about the essay, I got carried away)
(pps. I am also new to this forum, so please don't be too harsh with your responses, IF you respond. Im not hopeful :/)

Hello,
Just read this and thought a response was required.

I'm not T1 and have little knowledge of CF so cant really offer any advice there but I'm sure others will.
It sound to me as if your partner is suffering from a form of depression.
It can be treated and things will get better.

Not sure what's best but you could send the above to his doctor, phone the Samaritans or hospital or contact your surgery and explain the position.
They will help I'm sure.

try that today and give some feedback here.
My heart goes out to you both.

Mike

I am concerned that he is experiencing burnout. This is because of a number of reasons:

2) He has to commute for an hour to get to work each way on packed trains (+3 to stress)
2) Earlier this year his sister died at the age of 39. She was an amazing person! But CF is cruel. (+lots to stress)
3) Later in the year we found out that I am a carrier of CF (same as him), so now we are concerned with having a child naturally, and going through the genetic testing system etc takes a long time. (+10 to stress)
4) His GP surgery has been completely incompetent with his diabetic treatments - he had his first foot check over a year after joining the surgery because I specifically phoned up and requested one for him. Add to that all of the late/not produced prescriptions and all the smarmy "you missed your appointment" when we didn't even get a letter saying that he HAD an appointment, (+10 to stress)
5) The introduction of the Patient Access change of prescription method (so no more repeat prescriptions) (which the GP didn't even inform us about!) has really messed up the system we had in place (+3 to stress)
6) After recently losing vision in his left eye, it turns out that he has developed macular edema, which is seriously affecting his work (he is a software engineer). (+20 stress)
8) And the GP's have not only NOT provided any support for him during this time (+5 stress), but have actually told him that he has 30 days to change surgery as he is "no longer in the catchment area for that Drs" so they will be stopping prescribing his medication in (now less than) 30 days. (+lots of stress)
-----we knew changing Drs would be required due to the new address, but what with everything else that has been going on we haven't gotten round to it, but the hospital letters were all being sent to the old address so we phoned up to change the address to the new one and were bluntly informed that we are out of the catchment area.

Add to that Brexit, his aggressive brother bullying his parents, my writing my thesis and electrical issues in the house, he is feeling pretty rubbish. Not surprising that his control isn't therefore as good as it should be (though it is pretty good given the circumstances IMO!)

Tbf, he has tried to create a positive out of all this negativity - he has developed a diabetic diary app to help him monitor his sugars over the day. But on the whole, he feels like that the whole country is now set up to let him die. He feels that the NHS is going to fail in the next few years due to lack of funding and no support. He is concerned that he will have to start paying for medication that he Literally needs to live (Tax to Survive much?) and he's just so fed up with it all that he just wants to get out of it.

He's talking about stopping testing, he doesn't feel that he has the time or energy to go through the "finding-a-good-GP" routine AGAIN, he doesn't have the energy to go to work and can't really think when he is there, and, not frequently but enough to worry me, has mentioned thoughts of suicide.

As his partner (10years), I am trying my best to help him where I can: we have changed onto
a low carb diet to try and keep his sugars down, I have bought "think like a pancreas" to try and help me understand the science behind diabetes (but it's American, so obviously has slight differences compared to the UK way of doing things), I take him to his retinopathy/hospital appointments and try to book them for him. I listen to him when he's frustrated, and will happily do things like fetch him his testing kit/insulin/fresh needles/water/whatever I can do to make him feel better. I try to take as much of the load off of him as I can, but (understandably) that just makes him feel more out of control. But if I leave him to do it, it doesn't get done as he feels like it's all a waste of time anyway.

It's gotten to the point where he doesn't think I know enough about his diabetes to help him (which is fair, as I don't HAVE diabetes so I don't know how being "high" or "low" feels), but he doesn't trust the doctors to deal with his health properly.

So I guess what I'm asking here is, what should I do? What CAN I do to help him in a manner that doesn't make him feel worse?

(pps. I am also new to this forum, so please don't be too harsh with your responses, IF you respond. Im not hopeful :/)

Hi Loilage, welcome to the forum 🙂

Really sorry to hear all this, it sounds like a real litany of poor care and unnecessary bureaucracy :( Some of the actions being taken don't sound right to me, I'm pretty sure they can't leave him in a situation where he doesn't have access to medication essential to life. I think he needs a referral to a consultant to help him with his diabetes, particularly given the problems he has been encountering lately. I would suggest speaking to the Diabetes UK helpline - they will be able to help you both sort out your situation so you can get better care and start to see a more positive future. Contact details are on the following link:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/helpline

Hi.

I recently went through exhaustion and I'm going through another element of it now.

It makes it hard to look after the sugars.

The advice I was given was to not be hard on myself when I tested and was high. Same with my husband he wasn't allowed to be judgemental. But if I was high, to treat. With insulin. So you give yourself the freedom to allow high sugars as long as you deal with them. Being exhausted does raise our sugars.

He really needs to get in to a local hospital for his treatment. They will be able to support him a lot better.

Have a look at the freestyle libre. It's not cheap, but it's really helpful. It's a sensor in your arm that constantly monitors your sugars and lets you test really easily with just a swipe of the handset.

The other thing I was told was to make my acceptable range larger. Others may disagree. But the feeling I had was that I was a failure every time I tested and had non perfect sugars. I had to change my mindset.

When I'm ultra stressed I don't beat myself up too much if I test and my sugars are on 9, or even 10. I know some people try to keep their sugars close to the mark, but it's not always possible.

I've had sugars go all the way up to 30 before. It's about not having a go at yourself when that happens. If it happens, it happens. Treat it with a correction (takes hours to come back down) and move on.

You are being amazing by giving him the support you are. Having diabetes is hard work, and it can sometimes feel like the world is against you.

Hi loilage...like @MikeW59 I'm type 2 and know nothing about type1 diabetes or CF...with so many difficulties...you obviously need to prioritise...the most serious issue being the need to get your husband registered with another practice...particularly in view of his current surgery threatening to stop prescribing essential life saving medication within the next 30 days......I have no idea if they can actually do that before he finds/registers with another GP (would that be lawful)...DUK do have a help line...you can call them for support on this & other diabetes related issues...I strongly suggest you give them a call ASAP...I've no doubt members will be along to advise on the other matters soon...please call the helpline as soon as you can...so sorry I cannot suggest more...just wanted to offer you both some support...keep us updated...disgraceful way to treat anyone.

Not type 1 but wanted to welcome you. You are so lovely and supportive to your partner and acknowledge all his stresses which is a wonderful. I hope you both get the support you need.

Hi
I've been in similar situations and I just had to leave jobs as was so stressed, with life events and difficulties.Ok I had savings to use until got another job. Alternatively take holiday or sick leave to take time to breathe. Write a list of things to do.
Depending on where you live there may be community outreach support to help you sort out practical issues. You could contact social care as they usually contract voluntary orgs to do community support. I currently do this kind of work. What is your local authority? Hopefully I can locate you some help.

Thanks for sharing with us and how are you today? There has been some excellent advice and can't add any more. I just want to add my support and also think you are amazing in how much you care, you are doing so much to support your partner and hope you also get some support. My heart goes out to both of you and do let us know how you are doing.

Hello Loilage, welcome to the forum. 🙂 I am so sorry for your troubles. I wish you every strength for the future. Life is exhausting anyway without having anything wrong with you.

Sorting out the hospital/doctor/medication change is probably the first step to getting back on track - the longer it is left undone the shorter the time for getting things sorted out.
You could contact the diabetes unit in the local hospital and ask for recommendations for surgeries in your area.
The process of changing doctors is simple, though you might need some sort of proof of address document - something like a letter from a bank or utility provider is OK - and then the change in hospital should be done through the surgery.

Hello and welcome.

VERY well done on coping the way you both have.

I would definitely contact the DUK helpline, and, as a shot in the dark try a social worker. They will have contacts/ideas that none of us in here could ever think of.

Please keep in touch.

Hey everyone, thank you so much for all your kind words. We've found a GP that we are going to try as they have a diabetic specialist doctor there, though still have the problem of opening times (Mon-Fri 8-5, which means a commuting return at 7-8 is still out of their hours). However they do have the occasional Saturday morning so we are going there then to get him registered fully and see what options are available. I have already sent them an email outlining our situation, so I'm reallllllyyyyy hoping that they are better than the previous doctors and act on what I have requested (basically, can my husband please have all the checks he was supposed to have had over the last 3 years done asap). Once he's registered I'm hoping that he'll be put into contact with some form of councilor to talk about how he's doing and try to find a way to help ease things with his diabetes (he's interested on going on the pump and has already done the DAFNE course - albeit about 4 years ago - so hopefully shouldn't be a problem there).

I have looked into getting the Freestyle Lite CGM, but we just can't afford it atm. I am hoping to save up for one for him though as his fingers look red raw from all the pricking he's been doing over the last few months.

Thanks again xxxx

Hey everyone, thank you so much for all your kind words. We've found a GP that we are going to try as they have a diabetic specialist doctor there, though still have the problem of opening times (Mon-Fri 8-5, which means a commuting return at 7-8 is still out of their hours). However they do have the occasional Saturday morning so we are going there then to get him registered fully and see what options are available. I have already sent them an email outlining our situation, so I'm reallllllyyyyy hoping that they are better than the previous doctors and act on what I have requested (basically, can my husband please have all the checks he was supposed to have had over the last 3 years done asap). Once he's registered I'm hoping that he'll be put into contact with some form of councilor to talk about how he's doing and try to find a way to help ease things with his diabetes (he's interested on going on the pump and has already done the DAFNE course - albeit about 4 years ago - so hopefully shouldn't be a problem there).

I have looked into getting the Freestyle Lite CGM, but we just can't afford it atm. I am hoping to save up for one for him though as his fingers look red raw from all the pricking he's been doing over the last few months.

Thanks again xxxx
Thanks for the update loilage...sounds as if you've been working hard to resolve the horrendous circumstances you both faced...relieved to hear you have found a new GP practice...quite frankly they just have to be better than the last ones...I understand the limitations of the 'catchment area'...however some practices can & do use their discretion for existing patients when they move house...quite frankly he has to be better off away from a surgery that appears to have offered little continuity of care/support...to threaten to stop in prescribing in 30 days...outrageous...shows a complete of compassion...you persevered thank goodness...fingers crossed the new doctor provides all he needs...well done.[/QUOTE]

Just a quick update, we've signed him up to the new GPs practice but he needs to go for an "introductory appointment...?" before he is officially signed up with them. This is going to leave him with a 2 week overlap where he isn't actually assigned to a GP, pah! Well, I guess lets hope nothing goes wrong in that time :/ #TemptingFate :( why can't things just be simple?
Has anyone here developed any coping mechanisms for DB? His work is starting to suffer and we're worried that his boss may discipline him for not meeting the required deadlines (though his boss is really lovely and has been really understanding, it's a very small company and progress must be made.). My husband is just getting soo frustrated with himself, so any hints and tips would be appreciated. xxx

Hi @loilage. Glad that you seem to be getting things sorted re GP and fingers crossed that your hubbie gets better care from them.
My tip would be to just take it one day at a time. Diabetes is a marathon rather then a sprint. Just make small changes one at a time and BG levels will start to come down. Don't panic if there is a bad day, we all get them. If you can, try and work out what went wrong, but again this 'D' lark is fickle and sometimes it can just be the way the wind is blowing 🙄.
Accept that there will be bad days and that tomorrow is another day.
Good luck to you both and let us know how you get on.

Sorry to here, T1 is very hard work without all other probs. Good luck

Really really sorry to hear how your partner has been treated @loilage

Glad it looks like the new GP is pretty much lined up and hopefully that will ensure access to meds etc.

How long is it since your partner was seen at a hospital clinic? Could well be worth asking for a referral. Also a referral to psychological support as part of the multi-disciplinary team.

Has your partner also read Think Like A Pancreas? Would they feel comfortable registering here? Or elsewhere? To share their frustrations. It can be really hard to engage with help when you are burnt out and/or battling depression.

There are a bunch of online and peer support resources here which might be of interest: https://www.t1resources.uk even if it's just reading some blog posts or lurking on Twitter.

Keep us posted, and hope things improve for you both soon.

Hi, welcome, and sorry to hear what you and your Hubble are going through. Regarding the introductory appointment, which I assume is the reason for the two week delay? I would hope that if there is a problem new patients don't actually have to wait for that before having access to a GP - that was certainly the case when my husband had a nasty water infection and we realised he'd never registered with our local GP. He was able to get an emergency appointment. I wonder whether your husband could get similar treatment given his apparent mental state? It does sound as if he needs some help, and if this means he has to finish work early, start late or even work from home one day to allow him to attend the appointment then so be it. Employers do have a duty to make reasonable adjustments for long term conditions like diabetes and if he is depressed this could be seen as a complication of the diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back