Participants needed for a research study in type 2 diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
HCP/Researcher
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi all,

This is an invitation for adults with type 2 diabetes to take part in a research study to co-design and evaluate a virtual reality (VR) based mindfulness application to help reduce diabetes distress and improve quality of life.

We want adults with type 2 diabetes to take part in five co-design workshops (in person and online, 2-3 hours each) to help us create a new VR mindfulness app.

If you are interested, please contact the research team by emailing:

shraboni.ghosal@manchester.ac.uk

Many thanks,

Shraboni

This study has been approved by Mike @everydayupsanddowns

Thank you very much for your interest and email which I have received.
I have emailed you the participant information sheet and consent form for our study at UoM.
Hope to hear from you soon. Many thanks again.

Hi All,

This is an invitation for adults with type 2 diabetes to take part in a research study to co-design and evaluate a virtual reality (VR) based mindfulness application to help reduce diabetes distress and improve quality of life.

We want adults with type 2 diabetes to take part in five co-design workshops (in person and online, 2-3 hours each) to help us create a new VR mindfulness app.

If you are interested, please contact the research team by emailing:

shraboni.ghosal@manchester.ac.uk

Many thanks,

Shraboni

Is diabetes distress an actual thing?

Diabetes distress is when a person feels overwhelmed or frustrated by diabetes. These feelings can come and go. It doesn't mean that one has these feelings about other parts of their life.

Is diabetes distress an actual thing?

Very much so! We see it on the forum all the time. Sometimes in people who are newly diagnosed, but other times in people who have been living with diabetes for some time and find the daily need to manage their condition becomes overwhelming. It is sometimes called ‘burnout’

Do you have Type 2 Diabetes? Would you like to help design new virtual reality technology?
Overview: This is a research study to design a virtual (VR) based mindfulness application for people with type 2 diabetes to reduce diabetes distress. Participants to take part in 5 co-design workshops to help create a VR mindfulness app and then determine how well this VR app works for people with type 2 diabetes.
Eligible? If diagnosed with type 2 diabetes or older; English speaking; own an Android smartphone; £50 voucher compensation.
Interested? Please contact us: Shraboni.Ghosal@manchester.ac.uk
Collaboration between The University of Manchester and King's College London. Funded by The Burdett Trust for Nursing.

Last edited:
Very much so! We see it on the forum all the time. Sometimes in people who are newly diagnosed, but other times in people who have been living with diabetes for some time and find the daily need to manage their condition becomes overwhelming. It is sometimes called ‘burnout’

But don't we read messages from people who have been given really poor advice, or none at all? Some have been blamed for their condition, me for one, but many more.
Diabetes distress is, surely, primarily the consequence of of blaming and shaming the despised victim.
GPs and nurses and other people who should know better are failing their patients. They are failing to pass on information from test results so diabetes goes untreated, I was left ten years after a high glucose level was flagged, they are failing to give good advice, failing to explain how to take or adjust medication - even failing to mention the drastic response to taking Metformin which has caught out so many.
It is the NHS which needs sorting out, because it is doing more harm than good in too many cases.

But don't we read messages from people who have been given really poor advice, or none at all? Some have been blamed for their condition, me for one, but many more.
Diabetes distress is, surely, primarily the consequence of of blaming and shaming the despised victim.
GPs and nurses and other people who should know better are failing their patients. They are failing to pass on information from test results so diabetes goes untreated, I was left ten years after a high glucose level was flagged, they are failing to give good advice, failing to explain how to take or adjust medication - even failing to mention the drastic response to taking Metformin which has caught out so many.
It is the NHS which needs sorting out, because it is doing more harm than good in too many cases.
I find it interesting that there is research for a VR application creating a solution to anxiety & distress which was caused by the RW (real world.) which could as a result “isolate” in a possible gammer addiction cycle with a proposed VR app developed as a mindfulness retreat?

That can certainly be one form - and you know yourself how distressing it can be. But diabetes distress is multifaceted and complex and extends to other things too.

For some people it is low mood, worry, anxiety, or a sense of being overwhelmed simply by the ongoing demands of managing the condition. Things like monitoring, counting carbs, adjusting doses, factoring in exercise / illness / hormones / changes in routine - or just sticking with the balance of diet and meds that ‘works’ but is not the freedom a person was used to.

It can also be worries or anxieties about complications (either those experienced, or the fear of them in the future). Fear of hypos. Fear of losing control in public. Worries about side effects from meds.

So while stigma and blame are distressing and do overlap, I think in its broader sense diabetes distress includes a wider set of experiences.

Last edited:
We are recruiting adults with type 2 diabetes to take part in a research study to co-design and evaluate a virtual reality (VR) based mindfulness application to help reduce diabetes distress and improve quality of life.

Do you have Type 2 Diabetes? Would you like to help design new virtual reality technology?
Overview: This is a research study to design a virtual (VR) based mindfulness application for people with type 2 diabetes to reduce diabetes distress.
Participants to take part in 5 co-design workshops to help create a VR mindfulness app and then determine how well this VR app works for people with type 2 diabetes.
Eligible? If diagnosed with type 2 diabetes or older; English speaking; own an Android smartphone; £50 voucher compensation.
Interested? Please contact us: Shraboni.Ghosal@manchester.ac.uk
Collaboration between The University of Manchester and King's College London. Funded by The Burdett Trust for Nursing.

Morning,

Is there some reason why mindfulness is restricted to T2s? I'm T3c with no pancreas and have dabbled in mindfulness practice and I think any other T3c or T1 who might be experiencing stress and hassle because of their diabetes would get just as much benefit from a VR mindfulness app as a T2. If you are excluding other than T2s then do you have a rationale? If you are intending to include T2s who use insulin then why not T1s or T3cs?

Curious! Regards Roland

Hello,
Thank you for your interest in our study. Mindfulness is not restricted to T2D - interventions have shown positive effects on health and well-being in those who practice. We are only doing this study in T2D as per our approved protocol, but will surely contact you if we do a study with other types in future, many thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back