Parks Alliance offers to help work out Lord Darzi's parks smoking ban idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The Parks Alliance today indicated it could help "flesh out" a proposal to ban smoking in London's parks as the political response divided along party lines.

The ban suggested by top cancer surgeon Lord Darzi and backed by chief medical officer, Professor Sally Davies yesterday is part of a drive to make London the world's healthiest big city.

Darzi said the ban would help Londoners quit smoking, cut the estimated 8,000 smoker deaths a year and dissuade children – an estimated two classrooms a day – from taking it up.

"Just as smokers’ lungs are polluted, the lungs of our city – our parks and green spaces – are polluted by smoking. London should lead the way for Britain, and the Mayor should lead the way for London by acting to make our public spaces smoke free," he said.

http://www.hortweek.com/parks-allia...ng-ban-idea/parks-and-gardens/article/1317567

If they can make it work in Central Park, I can't see why it couldn't be made to work here. There has been such a massive improvement in the cleanliness of pubs and public transport since it was banned there, I'm all fr taking it further 🙂 Yes, I'm an ex-smoker! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back