• Community Members: Please be respectful of other peoples' opinions within our online community

Parents of young children here - Help need advice

starbox

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi I am mum to Levi just turned 3 and diagnosed this week with type 1.
Appart from being totally shocked and struggling. I wondered if anyone with a small child that had or is currently going through this had any advice?

My husband has took some time off work but he has to go back next week, I am worried that it is taking the two of us to do his insulin and readings, how will I manage on my own.

Any advice would be welcome and appreciated.

Thanks
Sallie

diagonall

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Appart from being totally shocked and struggling. I wondered if anyone with a small child that had or is currently going through this had any advice?

My husband has took some time off work but he has to go back next week, I am worried that it is taking the two of us to do his insulin and readings, how will I manage on my own.

Thanks
Sallie

Hi Sallie, welcome to the forum.
I have seen other Mums being recomended to give the little one some control.
Even at 3 Levi can have choices. Ask him to put the strips in the meter/press the buttons ask where he wants the injection to go get him to push the button. Can you do a reward chart for his age? Put stars on it for being good/brave and reward after so many stars. Can you talk to his care team too and ask for their advice they have prob got a lot more ideas as would have seen it all before.
Best wishes
Sue

grahams mum

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent

Thanks
Sallie

hi graham was 3 when he was diagnosed and it was a lot to take in for all of us but dont worry will be normal in a few months time

starbox

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Thanks Sue and Grahams mum, a few days down the line and we are coping much better. We went to the clinic and I have to say they are brilliant.

Levi started to take the interest and asked to do the blood count himself (this was due to me sticking a sportacus sticker on it and saying it was an energy checker). As this worked so well we have said that he is just like sportacus and he has to eat sports candy and take the special energy!!!!

Roll on the next step ..carb counting :)

Thanks again

wendyh

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi

Don't worry - things calm down - I understand the shock - my daughter was diagnosed at 5 and we are 3 years in. There is so much information to take on board - you will pick things up as you go along through trial and error - before you know it you will know so much and take it in your stride - trust me - I've been there!

Wendy