Parents Defend Kids? Bullying Of Autistic Student, Saying He Brought It On Himself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The stigma and ignorance surrounding mental disabilities may have led the parents of teens who bullied a classmate with autism to blame the victim.

On Monday, WHO-TV reported that students at an Iowa high school had posted a video online mocking the involuntary movements of classmate Levi Null, a 13-year old with Asperger?s syndrome. ?People tell me to run into things and I don?t really like it,? said Null, who also has ADHD. ?And I tell them that I don?t want to and they just laugh at me, whenever I do it.?
On Thursday, it was revealed that the report had triggered an outpouring of support ? for the accused bullies.

Some of those defending the teens who posted the video have turned to shaming the autistic victim. Levi Weatherly, a parent of one of the accused teens insisted his child was not wholly in the wrong. ?Three-fourths of this stuff he brings on himself,? he said, ?and probably a fourth of it is bullying that shouldn?t be going on.? One implied that he was asking for it: ?This kid has done things to get people mad that I think he could probably control.?

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/11/21/2979471/autism-bullying-iowa-school/

Disgusting :( Perhaps we can see where the bullies get it from :(

May the blue bird of happiness fly up THEIR noses ......

Both nostrils.

If the parents are that ignorant, what hope do their children have? 😡

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back